‘How can a Hindu Brahmin consume beef?’ This girl’s conversation with her classmate will shock you

When logical reasoning fails.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Updated: February 28, 2017 6:32 pm
Canteen menu of AMU. Express archive Photo. Why is eating beef always connected to Hinduism in India? (Source: Express Archives)

It was just another day for Delhi-based law student Arunima Bhattacharya when a guy from her class suddenly sent her a message. After the usual pleasantries, his first question was, “Yaar how you justify beef”. The person had apparently seen a message by Bhattacharya on some group and decided to message her questioning her faith as well as her dietary habits.

A free-thinking individual, Bhattacharya didn’t take kindly to the line of questioning and comments, and decided to post the entire conversation on Facebook in an attempt to make people aware of the kind of thought that prevails even among the educated lot. “Some were aghast, some were disgusted, many had a good laugh… Although I did receive a few ‘unpleasant’ messages. One person from Jaipur said ‘your post is very offensive to me because cow is my mother’ and then tagged ABVP and some ABVP members with a hashtag,” she told indianexpress.com, about the reactions her post received.

In today’s age when cow vigilantism is on the rise, Bhattacharya found herself being tagged as a cannibal even. But the overall feedback on her post has been largely positive. “I am quite overwhelmed as well, so so many people said good things like they are proud of me, lauded my patience and the best part was that I received a message from someone in Karachi who said ‘we need more people like you in India and Pakistan. Then maybe we can finally have peace’,” she said.

Here’s the entire conversation between the two:

I just had a full-fledged conversation with a guy in my class (whom I have never seen btw) about how I, being a Hindu, am okay with beef and can ‘justify beef’, since I was born into a ‘Hindu Brahmin’ family.

beef1 beef2 beef3 beef4 beef5 beef6 beef7 beef8 beef9 beef9a beef9b

Tell us your thoughts on this conversation in the comments below.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

1. T
    Jun 4, 2017 at 1:10 am
    Does anyone else feels that its a setup, more like fake WhatsApp chat images???
      Jun 1, 2017 at 3:12 pm
      Awesome conversation, its explaining thoughts on both side. But we have to think again about this. I think we are giving more importance to things which are not necessary. We have so many issues needs to be consider first other than dinner, lunch, veg, non veg etc etc.
        Ram Chandar
        Feb 28, 2017 at 2:13 pm
        Fake News
        1. Shomer
          Feb 28, 2017 at 11:33 pm
          pork should be the staple food of all mussalmans..
            Anshu Deepak
            Feb 28, 2017 at 3:56 pm
            I don't believe in religious hypocracy...be it hindu , Muslim, Sikh...christian...or whatever. But again...I do really think that...customs(Riwaaz) makes a lot of sense. lt;br/gt;I don't know the motive to putting these kind of messages in Indian Express..as I feel it truely unwarranted. With due respect of the 'Right of Expression' the buzz word going around. I'm not in position to make a genuine serious question here. lt;br/gt;But...for me ..these kind of messages have a very high propensity to start similar kind of left - right drama debate...and will end up in national - anti-national tags. I'm not the supreme court to decide if putting these kind of (fabricated..or original...Authentic or unwarranted, I don't know exactly) messages actually transgresses the 'reasonable restriction' for the better sake of country's unity and integrity ..or not.lt;br/gt; lt;br/gt;But one thing I surely understand..that it is even beyond the capacity of supreme court ..to intervene in each and every matter and to tell us the we ( suppositedly responsible) are crossing our line. It seems as if we've not learned from adversities ...and we've never incullated our consutional sentiments.