Twitter seems to give an interesting insight into the way several of India’s Union Cabinet ministers work. Be it the many visas that external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj has granted (uniting lovers to helping family members out of a tight fix) to railways minister Suresh Prabhu, who has revolutionised the access to comfort and essentials during train travel (remember the time a guy tweeted out the need for a wheelchair and had one waiting when he disembarked?).
Well, this is not be a story of a tweet reaching out to a minister, but one that will definitely put a smile on your face. According to a tweet by @ShreyaPradip, Shreya was travelling on an Indigo flight with her ill mom. The young girl, whose Twitter profile indicates that she’s from Ranchi, and her mother were given the XL seats with more leg room because her mother could not walk. At a mid-flight halt at Kolkata, it turned out the seats belonged to Union Civil Aviation Minister Jayant Sinha and his wife. Sinha insisted they continue to sit there and the couple took another seat instead.
A grateful Shreya later tweeted: “@jayantsinha @IndiGo6E Ache din is wen Aviation Minister gives his 1st class seat 2 me n my ill mother, sits in d eco class himself Thnx Sir”.
The minister was quick to respond with a tweet: “You are very welcome!” he said.
You are very welcome! http://t.co/fLlQp4Lzmn
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
— Jayant Sinha (@jayantsinha) November 6, 2016
Though, since the aircraft does not have a first class, Shreya later corrected that she meant the XL seats with more leg space, next to the door.
There was a tweet from Indigo airline’s Twitter handle as well, enquiring whether Shreya had a comfortable flight, to which she responded: “After such a generous gesture! Definitely ?? Thnxx”.
When indianexpress.com reached out to Shreya for more details on the incident, she said: “I was in flight from bengaluru to Ranchi which had a halt at Kolkata. My mother is ill and can’t walk so they gave us the seats near door cz it was vacant. At Kolkata the seats were booked and it belonged to Mr. Jayant Sinha and his wife. When they arrived they saw us and insisted on sitting on the same place and they took other seat”.
In the meanwhile, the reactions to Sinha’s kind gesture has been largely positive. One user tweeted: “aviation ministry is in good hands. More power to you Sir. Respect.” While another said, “thats great Kudos to minister @jayantsinha way to go Sir”.