‘I will now eat beef’: Make My Trip co-founder apologises and deletes Twitter account for controversial tweet

Boycott Make My Trip trended on Twitter after its co-founder's views on beef ban went viral. Later, Keyur Joshi apologised and deleted his Twitter handle.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 1, 2017 9:40 pm
make my trip, boycott make my trip, uninstall make my trip, keyur joshi tweet, beef ban, keyur joshi twitter reactions, indian express, indian express news Keyur Joshi had to quit Twitter after he was trolled endlessly. (Source: Twitter)

The debate over beef ban has divided the countrymen. Nevertheless, Twitter is always buzzing with individual opinions on the matter. Make My Trip co-founder Keyur Joshi also thought of spilling his views and ended up writing a rather controversial tweet. “I am a strong supporter of Narendra Modi and a vegetarian for life. But I will now eat beef only in India to support freedom for food,” he wrote, and added, “If Hinduism takes away right to choice of food, I rather not be a Hindu.”

ALSO READ | WATCH: This Kerala MLA ate beef after 19 years to protest Centre’s ban; Facebook Live video goes viral

No sooner had he posted it, Joshi was flooded with trolls expressing their disgust against his views. But, what really came as a shocker was when a lot of people threatened to uninstall the Make My Trip app, so much that #BoycottMakeMyTrip was trending on Twitter. Here are a few reactions on the social media networking site:

However, not everyone was contending against him. Read these tweets that supported his views:

ALSO READ | Adnan Sami ‘moos’ away Pakistani trolls with his blunt tweet on beef ban

Later, the online travel company issued an official tweet to say that his views are personal and he is no longer an employee with them. Here is the tweet they posted:

But, that’s not all. Joshi himself also apologised to Twitterati by saying: “The views expressed in my tweets regarding beef ban were my personal thoughts only. I deeply regret any unintentional inconvenience or hurt caused to anybody. I sincerely apologise for this and withdraw my comments unconditionally.”

What’s more, he deleted his Twitter account thereafter.

Well, this is not the first time that an individual opinion has been lambasted and led to dire consequences to the company. Remember Snapchat CEO’s “India is poor” comment? What do you think about how the events unfolded? Tell us in the comments below.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

raam
    Jun 10, 2017 at 2:23 am
    Well, isnt it the reasone why india cant develop. No one has the rigths to judge someone when a person is making there opinion, India is a country where you will mostly find only hindus and muslims, so people are often mislead that a single religion alone is enougf to run a country, but there are more than a thousand religion, and i dont think hinduism have the right to stop anyother religion to open up. Have a better life not a judgemental one. Arent there hindus who eat chicken's, let us say what will happen when a group of people litterally came together to form a religion based on a chicken, now its normal to have a religion based on animals right? And i dont eat beef, so you cant blame me for supporting anything.
      sharma
      Jun 2, 2017 at 1:08 pm
      KJ please go on a trip (hike) and make my day. I would suggest pl go to any country in the Middle East and proclaim from the minarets that you will now on eat what you want. Talking about casting pearls before SWINE. Samjhe kya???
        ANS
        Jun 3, 2017 at 1:22 pm
        You want to make India like Saudi Arabia. We want to make India like an. That is the difference between you and us.
      2. V
        Valentin C
        Jun 2, 2017 at 11:56 am
        Granted, food choices are personal and he can eat anything he wants. However, trying to hog the limelight by making public his choice of diet is not good. Shows that all of us relish publicity and this man got his moments in the limelight, though it was unpleasant. If he is really serious, he should have stood his ground. The apology is for what? Was it prompted by business considerations? Either way, he has shown that he cannot stand up to pressure.
          K.Suresh
          Jun 2, 2017 at 11:32 am
          He only regrets 'unintentional' inconvenience.
          1. N
            NRI
            Jun 2, 2017 at 11:24 am
            So this guy just because made a few million would prefer not to be a Hindu. So be it good riddance. So would I rather not use make my trip. I am not the looser, but he is. It is not about freedom of choice or food. It is about statement.
              Alok Barthwal
              Jun 2, 2017 at 4:27 am
              He thinks himself be a big intellectual but forgets that word ch tia is embedded in "intellectual".
                Raj
                Jun 2, 2017 at 2:58 am
                Indians are caught in a time warp. Those with progressive thoughts are targetted.
                1. L
                  Lalit
                  Jun 2, 2017 at 2:05 am
                  We Hail Joshi Sir, And taking a stand against these Radical Bhagwas who are still living in the slavery of BJPigs. They claim to be agianst cow slaughter but support BJPiglet politicians cutting Cows in North eastern states and South India. This hypocrisy screams that they are not serious about Cow