While US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump talked about building walls and sending ‘people’ who are not Americans back, Canada has often created a welcoming image of itself, given that once it even had a ministry of multiculturalism. But, as this recent viral video has shown, things are not all peachy there either.
A video of a racist confrontation in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada, has gone viral, with people outraged at the incident. According to several media reports, on October 21, a bylaw officer was issuing a ticket to a man who had illegally parked his truck in a reserved spot. The man became very aggressive at the incident and threatening as well.
It was then that a passerby, who happened to be of Indian origin, started filming the conversation on his phone camera. In the 2.27-minute video, a man aggressively comes charging at the guy filming, later identified as Ravi Duhra, calling him a “Hindu” and a “P*ki” who “should go back to India”.
The other guy even stomps back into his truck and shouts, “white power motherf*****”, while beating his chest. He goes on to ask, “When did you come to Canada?” When Duhra says he was born there, the man looks a bit stumped, but then resumes his attack by saying, “Did you ever wear a turban? You should. I think your wife would like you better.”
All through the video, Duhra says nothing back at his verbal attacker. In an interview with Canadian Global News, Duhra said that this was not the first time he’d been a victim of racism. “This isn’t my first bout of racism, and it probably won’t be the last either,” Duhra said. “I think the difference this time was the aggression. I’ve never had anybody be that aggressive towards me, who I’ve never seen before in my life and I’ve never spoken to.”
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
This happened in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada… In case people think racism doesn’t happen in Canada pic.twitter.com/havZSB7UXE
— Beelawl (@BilalSpeaks) October 24, 2016
Abbotsford police are now reportedly investigating the incident, and the man in question has been identified. Social media is abuzz with people strongly reacting to the video. Some people even said that they were considering moving to Canada should Trump become US President, but were now reconsidering their decision.