We are part of a society that has made us proud, from time to time. Be it, our achievements in arts, literature, science or even nurturing the talents of P V Sindhu, Sakshi Malik and the like, we have many reasons to be proud about. While we gloat about how much and what all we have achieved, we probably also tend to conveniently forget that there is still a lot of improvement to be brought about. While on one hand, the nation came together to cheer for Sindhu, there are people who squirm and others who smirk when sex is discussed, or when the female and male reproductory organs are mentioned, even in a serious context.
Fama Hasan, a Facebook user from Pakistan passed by a group of boys who were laughing after discussing breast cancer, and wrote a befitting reply to such people anywhere in the world.
This is the text of her post.
Yesterday I got out of class and was walking to my car towards the gate when I passed a bunch of guys who seemed like they must be in the 7th or 8th semester. This was the conversation I overheard:
Guy 1: Oye wo kia kehrae thay?
Guy 2: Pata ni yara ‘Breast’ cancer ka kuch kerne aye thay. Ussi ka btaye jarae thay. *inmature dirty giggles*
Guy 3: *smirks* Ayeinnn!
All of the guys: *Errupt in laughter*
I cringed all the way from university to home and I cringe as I type this. A society where basic human organs are sexualized to the point that even a cancer related to it is some locker room banter joke for these boys just like we talk of the one trump said. Little do they realize that it kills more than 40,000 women every year in Pakistan alone and these are just only the cases that even luckily get reported. Little do they know that Pakistan has the highest incidence of breast cancer in Asia. Little do they know that it is exactly this social setup because of which women are reluctant in medical checkups and sharing their issues, not even with their family members and ultimately lose their lives as the diagnosis only occurs at very late stages. God forbid some woman in their family suffers from this ever.
I have people constantly telling me that if you support a cause tou do something, beth ker baatein kerne se kuch nai hoga.
To all of you, ‘do something’ se pehle beth ker awareness phelana aur samjhana zaruri hai. Cause when organizations do come to our institutions to take a step and ‘do something’, these are the illiterate idiots they get to deal with.
So rant as much as you can. Talk, scream and yell as long as you know you are heard somewhere by someone. Do whatever you can. Everything counts.
And to those 4 guys I crossed:
Educate yourselves and those around you. Female bodies are not just objects. We are real humans with real diseases. I wish your porn addiction could have taught you otherwise.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Hasan’s inspiring post has been shared over 480 times at the time of sharing and is being appreciated widely on social media.