Many do not believe in coincidences. For them, they are just regular things with a somewhat unusual timing. But for some others, these incidents, however small, might be a thread of hope or happiness that could keep them going. Take this case, for example — The Washington Post forgot to publish their daily crossword puzzle on October 26, 2016. They got letters from their readers, of which one happened to be really special.
The American daily’s design director Greg Manifold shared the heart-warming letter he received from a reader after they missed out on carrying the crossword. Surprisingly, the letter was not admonishing, the man had written it with gratitude.
This is what it said:
“Yesterday around 3 AM, my great grandfather, Sidney Schulman, passed away at the age of 94. He was a World War II veteran, and a very loving grandfather. He was a key figure in my life for the past 24 years, and he meant a lot to me. I’m grateful that he was able to pass on his own terms, as an independent man rather than someone who was on life support attached to machines and tubes.
He was a man of routine, and one of those routines was to do the Washington Post Crossword nearly every day. I remember being a young boy and asking him about the crossword, and because of him I started doing them myself. I have been doing the Post’s crossword for over a decade now.
Yesterday, the day of his death, I could not find the crossword in the Style section like I always do.
I could not believe it when I read the top of the Style section this morning to find that it was a production issue. It brought tears to my eyes, to think how amazing of a coincidence that must have been. It was incredible, to say the least. Even though it was an unintentional misprint, I’d like to think that it was an homage to a man whose greatness inspires me to be the best person I can be.
So thank you, Washington Post. Even if it was accidental, and even if this goes unread, I really appreciate the coincidental vow of silence from the Style section.
This is Manifold’s tweet:
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
We accidentally left out the crossword from The Post on Wed. We hate making mistakes and heard from a lot of readers. This note was special: pic.twitter.com/R8CsC0UmsB
— Greg Manifold (@manifold) October 29, 2016
That was heart-warming, wasn’t that now? Tell us what you think of the letter in the comments section.