‘Makeup is costly than my tears’: This teen sex worker’s story has left everyone in tears

Even though the story is one of pain and struggle, her optimism and hope is also strengthening.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Published:June 19, 2017 7:40 pm
sex worker struggle story, gmb akash, bangladesh sex worker story, indian express, indian express news One line from the story is enough to understand the brutality faced by these girls and women in prostitution. (Source: GMB Akash)

The life of a sex worker in the dark alleys of a brothel is harsh and cruel, and the scene isn’t much different from one country to another. The situation gets particularly harder for a teenager or a child trapped in such a world, and this is one such story that has left people teary-eyed. Bangladesh’s popular photographer GMB Akash, who has given voice many vulnerable people, shared the story of Afsana.

This sex worker’s tale has left everyone with mixed emotions — that of anger, frustration, helplessness and sadness. The teenager dreams of escaping to greener pastures, to do nothing but breathe. In her moving tale, she says she has a disease, “I cannot breathe behind a closed door. I also cry while I laugh, I can’t control.”

The heart-wrenching story highlights her everyday struggle. “Our mother is our madam. I assured her I will be okay very soon, I will only laugh, will never cry,” the post adds.

One line from the story is enough to understand the brutality faced by these girls and women in prostitution. Afsana in her story says, whenever she cries, her friend Priyanka gives her hope and strength but also reminds her “makeup is costly than my tears”. the spine-chilling tale has sparked a debate online and many are wondering how these girls could be saved from the trade.

Read full post here

It’s been a long time I want to go to a very green field. I have never been in any green field. But I really want to go. I have a disease, I cannot breathe behind a closed door. I also cry while I laugh, I can’t control. It’s causing a lot of trouble to our mother. Our mother is our madam. I assured her I will be okay very soon, I will only laugh, will never cry. How I came to this brothel, I have no idea; I was too small to remember anything. But my only problem is, it’s very difficult to breathe here. Also I have no memory of any person; I do not see any face when I close my eyes, I feel all alone. Girls used to say they have no one too. But I tell myself, I must have someone, somewhere, may be a mother, a father or a lost family. I never had anyone to remember. So I try hard to remember a face, just any face, and there comes no one. My friend, Prinyanka usually wipes off my tears very quickly before I ruin my makeup. She always reminds me, makeup is costly than my tears. She told me that one day we will go to a green field, she will take me there and I will breathe as much as I can. Only I hope, on that day I will be able to see someone when I will close my eyes. At least once in my life, I want to feel that I am not alone.

– Afsana

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

arati
    Jun 20, 2017 at 1:33 pm
    She can breatge free till most of yhe lecherous men are executed, till our societies whether Hindu or Muslim look at all humans as humans with a soul and not as a property, when people actually start to use their souls in their day to day life and rise above petty materialism and do more for humanity. Till then God is the only hope.
      Panchnan Bisoi
      Jun 20, 2017 at 12:43 pm
      I cannot read full length of the story, as my eyes fill with tears. No such strength to read it again .
      1. O
        Omar
        Jun 20, 2017 at 6:57 am
        Afsana and Priyanka' ..... As our indian somebody problem in foreign country our foreign minister helping many peoples. Why not home minister help in inside the country ? I HOPE.
        1. G
          Girish Rao
          Jun 20, 2017 at 6:46 am
          India which aspires to be a superpower can't be one till it empowers priyanka and afsana.
            Sonia singh
            Jun 20, 2017 at 5:18 am
            Afsana and Prianka's struggles and pains are a shame to a country and a culture which claims to be most ancient and most advanced. The Indian society has failed them. What are the rich, the powerful and the affluent of india doing to their own vulnerable people. Remember - a society is judged by the way it takes care of its vulnerable people.
              Pranay
              Jun 20, 2017 at 12:16 am
              Sorry sister,we have failed you....but hope one day you can breath freely
              1. E
                Employ Ment
                Jun 19, 2017 at 8:07 pm
                योजना ✔मोदी जी द्वारा चलाए गए डिजिटल इन्डिया से जुड़े और 15,000 - 50,000 रुपए ✔अब कोई नही रहेगा बेरोज़गार और नही करेगा कोई बेरोज़गार आत्महत्या ✔क्योंकि अब आ गई है 21वीं सदी की सबसे बड़ी रोज़गार क्रांति ✔हमारा सपना पूरे भारत को ही नही पूरी दुनिया को डिजिटल इंडिया से जोड़ना सबका साथ सबका विकास ➡शुरुवात कैसे करे ✔C.h.a.m.p`C.a.s.h को प्ले स्टोर से इन्स्टल करे, और साइन अप करे, $1 डॉलर बोनस : 468942 ➡चैलेंज को पूरा करे ➡और इंकम करनी शुरू करे 👇🏻इसे जरूर नोट कर ले👇🏻 : 468942 ........................ Jshyduhdhijdhdi