To many people’s disappointment, Republican Donald Trump won the US elections 2016 and is now the President-elect. People have not taken it well and there are protests across the country. Thousands held anti-Trump placards and stood outside Trump tower in Chicago and shouted they don’t accept him as their president. Protests were witnessed in New England, Kansas City, Manhattan, Philadelphia and many other states.
But documentary maker and political commentator Michael Moore, who had already predicted Trump’s victory four months ago, took to Facebook to share his five-point plan with fellow Americans on what to do next. Months ago he had said, “I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I gave it to you straight last summer when I told you that Donald Trump would be the Republican nominee for president. And now I have even more awful, depressing news for you: Donald J. Trump is going to win in November.” Well, it really has happened!
His plan, shared in a Facebook post, has gone viral with over 150,000 shares at the time of writing.
Here’s what he wrote.
Morning After To-Do List:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn’t let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must “heal the divide” and “come together.” They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that’s about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked”. What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You’re fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).
Let’s try to get this all done by noon today.
— Michael Moore
People agreed with Moore’s post and many expressed their disappointment at the election process itself. “We must work to get RID on the electoral college…it should be by popular vote…what is wrong with our leaders that they can’t see this? Living in a totally crazed red state…when I vote, my vote does NOT count. WE NEED PERSON, ONE VOTE…KILL THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE!!!” wrote a user.
Have something to add to the story? Tell us in the comments below.