Demonetisation: This banker’s live updates from a rural bank on his experiences will move you

By: Trends Desk | Updated: November 16, 2016 3:29 pm
The stories will move you The stories will move you

The situation is worse in rural India, where comparatively less amount of money is reaching the banks and officials are having a hard time coping up with the situation. Reportedly, in a village in Bastar, Chhattisgarh, people have run out of food and they have no money to purchase anything.

Highlighting a similar situation, Facebook user VM*, who claims to be working in a public sector bank’s rural branch, has been sharing heart-wrenching details of the condition where the bank has not received money on days and when it has, they run of money within hours. The banker says, “If tomorrow I have to tell another mother that we can’t give her enough cash for her child’s treatment, I will breakdown. If tomorrow I see another shivering old lady in the queue, I will breakdown.” His post has gone viral with over 2,500 shares and has received a massive response.

Here’s what he wrote.

Alright I’ve had enough! I work at ***, rural area. And if tomorrow I have to tell another mother that we can’t give her enough cash for her child’s treatment, I will breakdown. If tomorrow I see another shivering old lady in the queue, I will breakdown. Because I can’t really look them in the eye and explain to them that it’s all for greater good and for national interest and that black money will go away. Black money or no black money. The system has always failed them every single time. And govt hospitals don’t exist everywhere, Pvt ones aren’t taking old currency, and for crying out loud your elitist asses wouldn’t trust a govt hospital either with the life of your loved ones. Please be honest. Please drop this elitism. This is NOT ‘inconvenience’. It’s a crime now. It’s a violation of human rights. People have DIED. Died waiting in queues, died in hospitals that didn’t take old currency, died working in banks. How can you justify DEATH because of a poorly executed policy in the name of greater good. I don’t want any good that has someone’s blood on it. And will this good mean income parity? WILL IT? What was the rush when your infrastructure wasn’t ready? People have died because you couldn’t wait to hit headlines. Black money can’t be your excuse for apathy. If this is your idea of deshbhakti then to hell with such patriotism. My patriotism doesn’t allow me to let people die for anyone’s ‘greater good’.
#Demonitisation

vm

The post has been deleted by the user and name has been changed to protect the identity.

Have something to add to the story? Tell us in the comments below.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

Ariba
    Nov 16, 2016 at 11:52 am
    My heart bleeds to this
      Srivastava
      Nov 16, 2016 at 1:51 pm
      This newspaper is Anti-Modi. The scale of inconvenience is not widespread enough to call for recall of demonetization. There are some isolated instances and which are liable to happen in a country of 1.25 billion people.
        Aviral
        Nov 17, 2016 at 11:43 am
        I wonder if people are going hungry because they don't have 500 and 1k notes..... Really??lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;All other dominations are valid. Poor people use 500 and 1k currency??lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;A great reply by a senior citizen on the present scenario.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;A person was standing in queue in front of kormangala HDFC bank to have his hard earned money deposited.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Then he asked reaction of 73 old senior citizen on how he is feeling about the government who made him to stand in a long queue.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;The reply was really simple and amazing..lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;_If I can stand in a long queue to have a 1 minute Darshan at Tirupati Balaji Temple and hope that everything in my life will be good after this , although there is no 100% guarantee for that, why can't stand now where I know it is definitely going to do good for my Nation INDIA._lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;A great motivation for our new generation......Again a lesson coming from our elders ...lt;br/gt;#BlackMoney
        1. J
          Jack Archer
          Nov 17, 2016 at 1:44 pm
          I have read the original post myself. The person who has written the post is an anti-BJP person who has written multiple anti-BJP public posts in last many months, especially after LGBT was announced illegal and no support came from BJPlt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;I would expect a leading newspaper to do such checks before putting a biased and non fact based article like that
            Deepak J
            Nov 17, 2016 at 5:01 am
            No one is asking for a recall. Just fix the other issues. And it is widespread enough. More than enough.
            1. G
              Gayatri
              Nov 17, 2016 at 8:50 am
              You should have revealed the name of the rural area atleast. Bring it to light so that help can be sent
              1. G
                gk
                Nov 17, 2016 at 2:37 am
                Those people dying also "Anti-Modi"... If one such " isolated instance " happen in your family, and you happen to cry out loud, we then will call you "Anti-Modi"
                  Dr. Rajan
                  Nov 17, 2016 at 10:12 am
                  It moved me. Nothing more is required. Let Modi Ji remain in headlines on the sufferings of common man.