Doctors remove 13kg poop-filled colon from constipated man’s body after 22 years!

Surgeons removed a section of Zhou Hai’s colon that measured 76cm long and weighed 13kg.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 14, 2017 7:05 pm
zhou hai, 13 kg colon in body, 13 kg feces removed, surgery 13 kg feces filled organ removed, health, lifestyle, indian express, indian express news (Source: Shanghai Tenth People’s Hospital)

A man in China who was suffering from a rare bowel condition was admitted at the Shanghai Tenth People’s Hospital when his belly was so bloated that he looked like he was heavily pregnant. According to local media reports, Zhou Hai could hardly breathe and was moaning in pain. Through a CT scan, doctors found out that there was huge amounts of feces (or poop as many of us call it) stored in the 22-year-old’s colon!

ALSO READ | Born unlucky: Challenges people with rare diseases face just to stay alive

A portion of the feces-filled colon weighing 13kg was later removed from his body after a gruelling 3-hour operation. Surgeons removed a section of Zhou’s colon that measured 76cm long and weighed 13kg, a Straits Times report said.

ALSO READ | ‘World’s heaviest child’ weighing 192kg from Indonesia undergoes surgery to lose weight, go to school

Zhou told the doctors how he’d been suffering from constipation since he was born and took laxatives on a daily basis. Three days before the operation, his condition had gotten worse and he couldn’t bear the severe abdominal pain. After he was admitted, a series of tests showed that feces had stacked up in a portion of his colon for years now, which had resulted in his abdomen swelling.

ALSO READ | How I lost weight and got my groove back

Later, it was found out that Zhou suffers from Hirschsprung’s disease, a birth defect that results in missing nerve cells in the muscles of the colon. Usually, it is discovered 48 hours after an infant’s birth, but in Zhou’s case, it was found out in adulthood. The disease makes patients prone to an intestinal infection called enterocolitis, which can be life-threatening.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

  1. B
    bishad
    Jun 14, 2017 at 9:53 pm
    He had eaten plastic rice since years.
    Reply