Internet today is a must-have travel companion and every possible gadget is Wi-Fi enabled. However, when you are travelling in a group and need connectivity on the go, it is best to get a Wi-Fi router and create a hotspot so that that it can connect multiple devices at one go.
What is a Pocket WiFi Router Hotspot device: A pocket WiFi Hotspot device is a portable, small sized WiFi router with “WiFi hotspot” capability. You can connect this device to an Internet source and make it a WiFi hotspot, which allows multiple devices to connect to the internet. Most of the popular pocket WiFi devices are about the same size as a credit card, which makes it easy to carry wherever you go.
There are different types of pocket WiFi devices with different capabilities. Depending on your budget, you can go for a minimum functionality device or a really fancy device with a lot of options.
Here are ten things to keep in mind while buying a Pocket WiFi router:
• Data plans
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
If you are buying a locked device, check the data plans offered by the internet service provider.
There will be several plans offered under prepaid and postpaid categories. At times, service providers offer the device at a very cheap price but have expensive data plans.
To know the best plan for you as per your usage, click here.
• Locked or unlocked
This is one of the most important factor – is the device locked to a specific service provider? If you are getting the device very cheap, there is a very high possibility that the router is locked to a service provider. If you buy a locked device, you will not be able to use it with any other service providers. If you are investing your money into a Pocket Wi-Fi Router, go for an unlocked device so that you can change your service provider whenever you want.
• How many devices to connect at a time
Check how many devices can be connected to the router. Mostly, devices allow five connections, which seem to be reasonable. Depending on the usage, if you have a bigger family or plan to use it for small office, you may want to go for devices that allow higher number of connections.
• Compatibility with your service provider
Think about the service provider you are going to use most of the time. Not every internet service provider will have coverage in all areas. And not every wireless router will be compatible with every service providers. Before you buy a portable WiFi hotspot device, check if it is compatible with your SIM, USB datacard and the service provider.
• 3G/4G Data Card support
3G and 4G is on a roll. To enjoy high speed internet access, before purchasing a pocket Wi-Fi router ensure that the router supports 3G/ 4G Data Card.
• Wi-Fi speed
One of the crucial thing one should keep in mind before buying a wireless router is to check the wireless standards-b, g and n. ‘N’ is the next gen technology and is newer and supports faster speeds than wireless ‘G’. Better coverage – your wireless signal is likely to be stronger around the house, compared to wireless ‘G’. It provides better range, better speed and better coverage. This means it supports transfer rates of up to 300Mb.
• Wi-Fi router doubling up as Power Bank
What can be better than getting the advantage of 2 in one device? Today, routers that double up as power bank are available in market. For example Huawei Wi-Fi E5730 comes with an inbuilt powerful battery of 5200mAh that not only gives you continuous working time without the need to charge but also helps allows you to charge your smartphones on the go.
• Quick start
It is very crucial to know how quickly the Wi-Fi router boots up. The boot time may vary from few minutes to few seconds. Huawei routers help get access to Internet in just 5 seconds without the hassle of installing any drivers or software.
• Mobile WiFi app to manage support & connections
Mobile app today is the more convenient way of simplifying one’s life. The same goes when you have data connections and an app is a boon for that. Huawei allows users to download android app to manage the WiFi router connection. HUAWEI Mobile WiFi is an app to manage Mobile WiFi device anytime, anywhere. Users can view their data usage, battery life, setting from the convenience of their android device. The app is available for free on Play store
• USB 2.0 ports
USB 2.0 ports provided by some of the WiFi routers can be of great help to hold USB pen drives or any other USB storage devices. This will help users to share files with the connected computers.
Contributed by Anand Narang, Marketing Director, Huawei India