With demands plummeting, the PC market in India fell -25.2% year-on-year to 2.03 million units in Q1 2014, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC).
While the commercial PC segment recorded a marginal increase of 4.1% over the previous quarter with total shipments of 1.02 million units, the consumer PC shipments stood at 1.01 million units, a drop of -4.3%.
Kiran Kumar, Research Manager of Client Devices at IDC India comments, said the overall commercial PC market showed first signs of improvement over the last 9-10 months as investment activities have improved in the banking and government verticals. “Vendors are optimistic about the overall market sentiments and believe it will pick up gradually among other verticals too in the course of 2014,” he said. But “consumer’s sentiments plummeted further due to high inflation and soaring prices owing to rupee fluctuations”, he added.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Dell has emerged as the market leader in the first quarter with a 23.1% market share. Manish Yadav, Market Analyst of Client Devices attributed this to the “renewed approach in their go-to-market strategy, product refresh on their commercial portfolio, and deeper penetration in the upcountry markets”.
Last year’s market leader HP, took the second place with 20.4%, but is still ahead in the consumer PC market. Lenovo was third with a 14.9% market share, and is powered by strong positioning in private banking, IT/ITeS and telco accounts.
IDC India expects the overall sentiments to get a boost from a stable administration in the centre. “Though recovery is unlikely to happen immediately, the challenging economic conditions are expected to revive, bringing back consumer confidence,” said Yadav.