Imagine being able to have a proper conversation with your Japanese sister-in-law without the help of an interpreter. Well, soon you might be able to do just that with Microsoft showcasing what it calls the Skype Translator app at the inaugural Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
At the event, with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Re/code’s Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher looking on, Gurdeep Pall, Microsoft corporate vice president of Skype and Lync demonstrated the new app which translated his conversation with a German colleague in real time. Everything said in English was translated to German in text and voice with an insignificant lag.
Nadella said the demo was an attempt to show how “we are entering a new era of more personal computing” and how Microsoft’s goal was to create computing experiences that are “more natural, more human, more like us”.
Pall, in a blog post later, explained that “it is early days for this technology, but the Star Trek vision for a Universal Translator isn’t a galaxy away, and its potential is every bit as exciting as those Star Trek examples”. He underlined how the Skype Translator opens up “so many possibilities to make meaningful connections in ways you never could before in education, diplomacy, multilingual families and in business”.
Skype Translator will be available as a Windows 8 beta app before the end of 2014.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More