US search engine Google has overtaken rival technology titan Apple as the world’s top brand in terms of value, global market research agency Millward Brown said on Wednesday.
Google’s brand value shot up 40 per cent in a year to USD 158.84 billion (115 billion euros), Millward Brown said in its 2014 100 Top BrandZ report.
“Google has been extremely innovative this year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a range of partnerships,” said Benoit Tranzer, the head of Millward Brown France.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Google Glass is Internet-linked eyewear for which the firm has joined hands with Luxottica, a frame giant behind Ray-Ban and other high-end brands, to sell the new product in the United States.
“All these activities send a very strong signal to consumers about the essence of Google,” Tranzer said.
Apple, which dominated the top position for three straight years, saw its brand value fall by 20 per cent to USD 147.88 billion.
The top 10 of the 100 slots were dominated by US firms.
IBM was in third place at USD 107.54 billion, a fall of 4 per cent, followed by Microsoft at USD 90.19 billion – a 29 per cent rise.
Fast food chain McDonald’s ranked next at USD 85.71 billion, followed by Coca Cola (USD 80.68 billion), it said.
China led in the insurance sector with Ping An valued at USD 12.4 billion and China Life (USD 12 billion).
French luxury goods manufacturer Louis Vuitton ranked 30th overall but was the top luxury brand with a value of more than USD 25 billion.
Brand value is calculated on the basis of the firms’ financial performance and their standing among consumers.