Microsoft will release an update of Windows Phone 8 operating system with new features,which could see the software giant making inroads into the much promising phablets market in emerging economies.
The update will allow bigger start screen and better accessibility options on mobile handsets.
Announcing the third update,Microsoft today said that new features would pave the way for future devices with 5 or 6 inch touch screens.
Phablets are smart-phones which are slightly bigger,usually with a screen size of 5-7 inches. They are popular in emerging markets like India and are even expected to eat into the market share of tablets in coming years,according to technology research firm IDC.
More than 3 million phablets were shipped to India during the second quarter of this year
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The update will work for 1080p HD displays and will make the devices more personal by porting jumbo-sized Start screens with room for six Live Tiles across instead of four,the company said on is blogpost
“Windows Phone 8 Update 3 will roll out to existing phones over the next several months,bringing with it a bevy of improvements and new capabilities,” it added.
According to IDC data,the sales of phablets grew 17 times and the phablet share rose to 30 per cent of the smartphone market in the second quarter of 2013.
“The key for growth in this market,as with most emerging markets,is a low-priced phone equipped with a large screen and dual SIM slots,” says an IDC analyst.
Nokia,which is gaining foothold in smartphone market with Windows based Lumia range of handsets,is also rumoured to launch its first phablet at Abu Dhabi event later this month.
The latest Windows Phone 8 update would include features such as customizable Driving Mode and better accessibility options.
Microsoft also announced a programme — Windows Phone Preview for Developers — which gives app builders early access to its operating system updates so they can verify that their apps work as expected on the new code.