Micromax has been loyal to the Canvas series as the flagship it wants to be identified with. And this Diwali, it has launched the Micromax Canvas 5, the latest in the series, with 4G LTE. If you look at Micromax in the recent past, two things are becoming clear: the company is more than bullish on 4G across price ranges and it thinks design is something that can give it an edge in the price sensitive Indian market.
Micromax Canvas 5
While we are not sure how successful the phone was, the Micromax Sliver 5 was certainly the most stylish phone from the Indian manufacturer. However, that phone was a bit too upmarket in price and looks. The Micromax Canvas 5 is the kind of style that will find widespread acceptance in the Indian market. This is style that is functional. And what else but a bit of leather, though faux, to take style to the masses.
- Micromax Canvas Evok review: When options are what you need
- Micromax Canvas Xpress 4G review: Budget phone with some surprises
- Micromax Canvas Pace 4G listed online for Rs 6,821
- Micromax Canvas 5 with 3GB RAM launched for Rs 11,999
- Micromax Canvas Xpress 2 Express Review: This phone offers a lot at Rs 5,999
- Micromax Canvas Knight 2 Express Review: Why this stylish phone is a bit underwhelming
Specs: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS (1920x1080p, ~423ppi) | 1.3GHz MT6753 octactore processor | 3GB RAM | 16GB internal memory | 13MP rear camera + 5MP front camera | Android Lollipop | 2900mAh battery | 4G LTE
Price: Rs 11,999
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
What is good?
As I said before, the design has to be the best feature of this phone. The faux leather rear panel adds a subtle sense of style to this phone. Anyway it is better than anything plastic can throw up. Plus, the curved metallic frame just adds to the style quotient. No issues with grip or smudges on this phone.
The phone has a very bright Full HD display that works well even in bright sunlight. However, the bezel has a curve that blends into a lip and seems a bit awkward.
It is rare for a phone in this price range to have 3GB RAM and that makes the Canvas 5 very good for multi-tasking. However, the processor 1.3GHz processor might not really need the 3GB of RAM at all times. The phone handles multi-tasking pretty well and has no issues with heating.
The camera is good, but not great. You should be able to manage decent frames when the light is good. Indoors and in low light the camera feels a bit laggy with some ghosting on the screen when you move it around. However, the night mode can give the shots a new lease of life if you have a steady hand. Regular users should not have reason to complain with this clicker. And there are enough presets to keep the more serious camera users interested.
What is not that good?
Some of the issues below are so trademark Micromax that I guess return customers should be used to these by now. For instance, once again there is a plethora of pre-loaded apps in the device; in the end there is just about 8GB of storage available for the user even in the brand new phone.
Micromax has done a good thing by making Swiftkey the default keyboard. But not all the software tweaks are great. For instance, the default browser wastes too much precious real estate on the screen and you are advised to download Chrome as one of the first things you do with the phone.
Micromax Canvas 5 appears all set to offer good challenge to the Moto G and Xiaomi phones in the mid-range. Micromax has certainly upped its game by offering a stylish look and premium features like FullHD screen and 3GB RAM in this budget phone.
Premium material and a sleek looks are no longer the preserve of the big international brands. A phone made for India can also look good and desirable. That is the biggest takeaway of this phone.