This Facebook flaw may let strangers break into your account

A security researcher claims to have spotted a flaw in Facebook's account recovery feature that can let anyone easily break into your account - that too, without you ever noticing, media reported. There's no need of password and scammers can also lock you out of your own account.

By: IANS | London | Published: July 21, 2017 5:06 pm
Facebook, hacking facebook account, How to hack a fb account, Facebook browsing, Internet browsing, Facebook news, New Facebook news, latest news, technology, tech news A security researcher claims to have spotted a flaw in Facebook’s account recovery feature that can let anyone easily break into your account – that too, without you ever noticing, media reported.

According to a report in the Independent, “there is no need of password to gain access and scammers can also lock you out of your own account”.

The discovery was made by 18-year-old James Martindale when he inserted a new SIM card into his phone. Martindale quickly received a message from Facebook informing him that “he had not logged into his account for a while, despite not having tied the new number to his account”, the report said. He then searched for the number on Facebook which brought up a single account.

Martindale then attempted to log into the account by using the number as the username and typing in a random password but failed because the password he entered was wrong. He clicked on ‘Forgot Password’ option to recover his account but failed again.

Martindale searched for the account with the new number and found a list of account recovery options – comprising an email address and six phone numbers – for regaining access to the account.

“One of these options was for Facebook to text a password reset code to the very number Martindale had just tried to log in with,” the report said. After selecting the option, he received the code and successfully logged into the ‘person’s’ account.

“Facebook then gave him the option to change the password, which would have locked the real user out of their account, or to skip that stage, which means he never would have known his account had been hacked,” the report pointed out. Martindale performed the same trick with another new number and it resulted the same.

For all the latest Technology News, download Indian Express App

1. Marjorie Sinnott
    Sep 15, 2017 at 2:32 am
    My life was falling apart, I felt being cheated and abused but i needed to make sure my instincts were true until i was referred to jeajamhacker who took care of the hack job. He hacked his Phone,facebook,instagram, Whats-App, twitter and email account. I got all I wanted before i quit the marriage.
    (0)(0)
    1. Marjorie Sinnott
      Sep 15, 2017 at 2:31 am
      (0)(0)
      1. B
        Brian
        Sep 7, 2017 at 3:12 pm
        finally i got in contact with hotcyberlord425 they helped me hack into my wife facebook smoothly, hacked into her emails and cell phone.the sweetest of all is that they are fast and quick which helped during my Divorce. mentioning my name would make him respond and treat you better as we are now close. Just tell him you are from me,Brian. He also does so many other hacks like facebook, whatsapp, bank, credit card,paypal,skype,Snapchat,Calls... just name it
        (0)(0)
        1. B
          Brian
          Sep 7, 2017 at 3:06 pm
          (0)(0)
            kim
            Jul 28, 2017 at 10:42 am
            I sincerely didn’t like the idea, but this is my way of saying thank you to the Quora user that recommended a hacker ( hotapphack I hired him for a very private and difficult matter of helping me hack a my spouse’s phone and social networks and some other personal stuffs and he far exceeded my expectations. which davinci, helped me get the info(whatsapp, facebook, text messages, call logs etc) faster and cheaper than I had imagined. The first time we spoke, we had a very long phone consultation in he gave me all my options that he could think of to resolve my case, and he even recommended I try other options before hiring him, which shows that he is honest. I decided to hire him and I am glad I did. he is a fantastic investigator and a great person. If you need a professional, reliable and efficient hacker, then you should contact this guy hotapphack and his Whatsapp number 16282043672
            (0)(0)