Sign of things to come? Property brokers rough up NoBroker.in CEO and employees

Property brokers in Bengaluru resorted to physical assault to shut NoBroker.in.

Written by Debashis Sarkar | New Delhi | Updated: September 18, 2015 9:32 am

Bengaluru-based online real estate startup NoBroker.in claimed that its office was “attacked” by local agents and brokers on Tuesday. As the name suggests, the startup helps customers to save money paid as brokerage, something which would worry traditional property brokers.

Watch Video: Property Brokers Rough Up NoBroker.in CEO And Employees

CEO & Co-Founder Amit Kumar Agarwal said the attack was planned in advance. Several brokers tried to enter the office premise on September 15 morning. When the founders along with some employees tried to stop them, the brokers resorted to verbal and physical assault and more brokers joined in.

“Around 40-50 brokers gathered and tried to take forced entry in the office premises,” said Agarwal. “The intention of brokers was to intimidate us by hurting employees and breaking computers. They wanted us to stop the business and vacate the premises.”

“Some people protested against the functioning of the firm and questioned some of the practices. There was a verbal altercation and a complaint was filed. It is a non cognizable offence so no arrests were involved,” the deputy commissioner of police (south east) Dr Rohini Katoch said.

The company has filed a non-cognizable complaint at the nearby Madiwala police station. “The police have warned the miscreants against any future attempts to break into NoBroker premises,” said Agarwal.

While Agarwal and others were at the police station, another wave of brokers tried to force entry into the office. “Fortunately, none of our employee was seriously injured. However, some of our employees were roughed up by the miscreants. Our employees were slapped and punched when they tried to prevent the goons from entering the office premises,” added Agarwal.

The start up nobrokers.in which promises real estate services minus brokers has raised the hackles of real estate brokers in the light of an advertisement campaign in Bengaluru. Brokers had a couple of months ago threatened to file a case against the firm for allegedly bringing brokers into disrepute through an ad campaign.

This is similar to the recent ‘Uber riot’ in Paris where taxi drivers took to the streets against the disruptive startup. The incident hints at similar desperate measures that might occur going forward, triggered due to the insecurities of traditional businesses.

(With inputs from ENS Bengaluru)

For all the latest Technology News, download Indian Express App

1. G
    Gangainathan
    May 3, 2016 at 6:54 am
    The worst experience ever!!!!! Laughable service. Terrible representatives. Fraud peoples.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;I had the unfortunate luck of dealing with these people (NoBroker and StayEasy Homes)lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;First mistake was they finalized a PG rental deal for Rs.6.5K and once finalizing the deal by me paying the advance of Rs. 15K. At the time of my shifting (hardly 10 mins before my shift), these people came back and told me that it cannot be offered @ the price of finalized deal and its the miscommunication happened and they told me that i could still rent it, if i agree to pay extra.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Second mistake, me on rejecting the offer - they agreed/committed to repay the complete advance amount immediately. But they haven't did it and didn't bother to reach me after robbing the amount.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Third mistake, On calling the telephonic representative of NoBroker - People were telling me that there was no deal made in my name and the people who were mailing from their domain name was not their representatives/consultants.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Fourth Mistake, After mailing them - i got a call back stating it was representative and superior officer(Abishek) of NoBroker, but he refused to provide his contact # which i asked for to follow-up on status - He was least bothered about our money or pain that we undergo.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Fifth Mistake, They haven't reached me back via mail/Phone after having my amount. It was me who need to do frequent phone calls and mail them and to finally get my own amount transferred.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;As a w, these guys are full form of cheaters.
    (0)(0)
    1. I
      itsMee
      Sep 12, 2016 at 4:46 am
      Being a owner of a house, I found my tenants through Nobroker for free.lt;br/gt;There were a lot of responses for my house when I posted it.
      (0)(0)
      1. Ajay Sharma
        Oct 4, 2016 at 8:57 am
        Ghanta yesbroker....Why should we pay extra money to these parasite goonda useless brokers
        (0)(0)
        1. Ajay Sharma
          Oct 4, 2016 at 8:59 am
          Good initiative
          (0)(0)
          1. Ajay Sharma
            Oct 4, 2016 at 8:58 am
            I hate these parasite goonda useless brokers
            (0)(0)