Reliance Industries Limited’s Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani Thursday held a press briefing today to announce that all Jio users will get data, voice and video-calling free till March 31, 2017. All existing users will also be eligible to avail this ‘Happy New Year’ offer. Ambani also announced a Jio Money merchants solution. Praising Reliance Jio’s growth and taking a moment to congratulate Prime Minister Narendra Modi over demonetisation calling it a “strong push for a digitally-enabled optimal cash economy in India.”
WATCH VIDEO | Reliance Jio’s Happy New Year Offer Begins: Here’s Are The Details
Here are the top points from his address:
* Reliance Jio has 52 million users in less than three months, and the company is adding 6 lakh users per day.
* According to Mukesh Ambani, the average Jio customer is using 25 times more data than the average India broadband user.
* Reliance Jio says it has the fastest speeds in the country, but admitted some customers faced an issue around this. He said only 92 per cent of their towers were facing congestion, but they will work to resolve the issue with the rest of the 8 per cent towers.
* RIL chairman also blamed the voice-call drop on lack of inter-connect points by other telecos. However, he said the situation was resolving and that the call drop rate has now come down to 20 per cent from 90 per cent before.
* Jio now fully supports MNP and all customers can retain their existing numbers when they migrate to Reliance’s telecom service.
* Jio has introduced home delivery of SIM for their privileged customers who are too busy to go to the store. The SIM is then activated in 5 minutes via the eKYC facility. This service will be available in top 100 cities in India by December 31, 2016.
* Reliance Jio has rolled out 2 lakh eKYC outlets in India, which is more than ATMs in the country. The company is aiming to make this 4 lakh outlets by March.
* Reliance Jio Welcome Offer is extended to March 31, 2017. Jio calls it the Happy New Year Offer. All Welcome Offer users will be automatically signed up to this ‘Happy New Year Offer.’
* The FUP limit (Fair Usage Policy) on the Happy New Year Offer has been revised to 1GB per day, from the initial 4GB per day. After a user exhausts this limit their speeds are reduced to 128Kbps
* Reliance Jio also launched the Jio Money Merchants app, where merchants can sign up and start accepting digital payments from their customers. Jio is targeting 10 million merchants across India with its new app.
For all the latest Tech News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: December 1, 2016 2:54 pm