UK based Raspberry Pi Foundation has upgraded its operating system, Raspbian, with a new OS called PIXEL. Pixel is a skin for the Raspbian that gives it a modern looking interface, and adds some new programmes to it. PIXEL stands for ‘Pi Improved Xwindows Environment, Lightweight.’ The redesigned interface will also get a new web browser, and improved graphics performance.
The first different a user will notice when running the PIXEL OS is that the cryptic boot messages have been replaced by a splash screen when rebooting the device. Once the desktop becomes visible, users will notice a new background image. The icons in the taskbar, file manager and menu have also got a makeover. The apps in the toolbar now get individual icons.
Watch our Technology videos here
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
Pixel OS also brings a new windows frame design, a new font, a new login menu, options in the Bluetooth and WiFi menus to turn off devices, and a new Chromium web browser.
“The latest set of changes are almost entirely to do with the appearance of the desktop; there are some functional changes and a few new applications, about which more below, but this is mostly about making things look nicer,” said Simon Long, Raspberry Pi. “We wanted something that looked businesslike enough to be appropriate for those people who use the Pi desktop for serious work, but with just a touch of playfulness,” he added.
Raspbian and Pixel image is available for download on the company’s website, the uncompressed size of which is 4GB.
Raspberry Pi had recently announced the successful sale of 10 million of their ‘Raspberry Pi’ credit-card sizes single-board computer. To celebrate the sale of 10 million Raspberry Pi units, the company put together a bundle, which will be the official Raspberry Pi Starter Kit.