Microsoft has officially ended support for Windows 8 OS, which was launched in October 2012. The company is also ending support for all older versions of its Internet Explorer browser, except IE 11.
However Microsoft’s lifecycle page for Windows 8 says that the company will continue mainstream support till Jan 9 2018 and extended support till 10 January 2023.
Mainstream support (new features) means that Microsoft will offer general support for a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product’s general availability. Extended support (security fixes) also continues for a minimum of 5 years from the product’s release cycle. Users should note that the lifecycle end refers to Windows 8.0 and not Windows 8.1.
Microsoft wrote on its website that “beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical supports and security updates.”
Internet Explore 11, which is the last version of IE (IE has been replaced by Microsoft Edge Browser in Windows 10) will receive updates and support on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 operating systems. Anyone using IE 8, 9, 10 or anything older than that can forget about technical updates from the company.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Microsoft is also ending technical support for Windows 8 and users will be need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 in order to continue getting updates for the OS.
Microsoft says that users need to upgrade to the latest OS and Internet Explorer in order to protect their PCs from malicious attacks. Microsoft has claimed in the past that the latest Windows 10 OS is running on 200 million devices.