The progress made by telecom operators on quality of services over the last one month has been satisfactory, Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha said on Monday. He, however, added that the final word on the improvement of services will be of the consumer’s.
Chiefs of telecommunication companies including Bharti Airtel, Idea Cellular, and Vodafone India met Sinha on Monday to inform the government of the situation of targets they had set at their meeting in June with Department of Telecommunications secretary JS Deepak.
Sinha told reporters that the companies and the government had agreed to a target of setting up 60,000 mobile telephony sites, or base transceiver stations, within 100 days, and the companies have managed to set up 48,000 sites so far.
“The progress made by telecom companies leading to the first 100 days of the initial discussion has been satisfactory but it is important for the customers to be satisfied with the services,” Sinha said.
“The industry assured the minister that the operators are responsible for customer experience and they have adopted multi-pronged approach to reduce call drops by way of increasing the number of sites to handle capacity and coverage issues…,” an official statement said
The minister said that these meetings were a part of the effort by the Centre and the service providers to remove the blemish imposed on the telecom sector’s success story in the recent past because of issues such as call drops.
On Friday, the telecom minister had highlighted the issue of call drops in the Rajya Sabha and said that operators would face action for using radio-link technology (RLT) to mask call drops.