After several complaints from users stating that Facebook for iPhone app has been draining the battery faster than normal, the Menlo Park based company has accepted the issue and has started rolling out the update.
With iOS 9’s new battery menu which gives detailed app-by-app battery usage, iPhone users raised complaints that Facebook is consuming more battery than usual. In a response to the issue, Facebook’s Ari Grant worte in his post, “We found a few key issues and have identified additional improvements, some of which are in the version of the app that was released today.”
Facebook says the first issue is with the CPU spin which has been fixed with today’s update. The second issue has been linked with how Facebook manages audio sessions. “If you leave the Facebook app after watching a video, the audio session sometimes stays open as if the app was playing audio silently,” wrote Grant in his Facebook post.
- Apple iOS 11.0.2 released, fixes iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus crackling sound issue
- Facebook Messenger Lite Android app now available in US, UK: Report
- Apple iOS 11.0.1 now out for iPhone, iPad: Fixes Exchange mail issue, and more
- Apple iOS 11 tips, tricks for iPhone, iPad: Six ways to improve battery life
- iOS 11 update for iPhone, iPad: Compatible devices, how to download, install
- Instagram could soon allow sharing Stories on Facebook
He further added, “The Facebook app isn’t actually doing anything while awake in the background, but it does use more battery simply by being awake. Our fixes will solve this audio issue and remove background audio completely.”
Grant also noted that the battery drain issue is not related to optional location history feature in the app. He says Facebook is not accessing device’s location if the feature isn’t enabled inside the app. He added, “We are committed to continuing to improve the battery usage of our app and you should see improvements in the version released today”
While the update fixes some the issues with battery drain on iPhone, seems Facebook has to fix few more bugs before the app returns to normal battery usage.