One of the first questions asked by people who signed up to Netflix India was why they couldn’t see House of Cards, and a host of other popular shows in the catalogue.
Well, we now have the answer.
While most of Netflix’s originals content will be available globally, some shows like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards don’t have global licenses and have aired on other platforms in the meantime. “Even so, Netflix may get them back in some of their new markets. For example, they have Orange is the New Black available in the new countries in Asia (India included), with the title coming to the Middle East and Africa later this year,” said a spokesperson.
- Netflix tips and tricks to make your streaming experience easier
- Top 5 Netflix shows that made Indian couples cheat!
- New on Netflix in December: The Crown, The Indian Detective, Jab Harry Met Sejal and more
- Stranger Things, Narcos, House of Cards and other Netflix originals you should start watching today
- India is growth market for Netflix with local content as fuel
- Amazon Prime Video vs Netflix: Here's how the two services compare in India
Incidentally, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings mentioned at CES: “We still have territorial licensing, that’s a legacy from the last 7 or 8 years. We’re moving as quickly as we can to have global availability of all the content on Netflix so that there are not regional distinctions. We’re still somewhat a prisoner of the current distribution architecture, we’re trying really hard to get there.”