One of the first questions asked by people who signed up to Netflix India was why they couldn’t see House of Cards, and a host of other popular shows in the catalogue.
Well, we now have the answer.
While most of Netflix’s originals content will be available globally, some shows like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards don’t have global licenses and have aired on other platforms in the meantime. “Even so, Netflix may get them back in some of their new markets. For example, they have Orange is the New Black available in the new countries in Asia (India included), with the title coming to the Middle East and Africa later this year,” said a spokesperson.
- Facebook is exploring its own original video shows: Reports
- Amazon Prime Video vs Netflix: Here's how the two services compare in India
- Netflix subscriptions boom on the back of original content production
- We are bringing the best, original content for India: Netflix exec
- Netflix, hotstar or the rest: Which video platform is the right one for you?
- Netflix comes to India, pricing start at Rs 500 a month
Incidentally, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings mentioned at CES: “We still have territorial licensing, that’s a legacy from the last 7 or 8 years. We’re moving as quickly as we can to have global availability of all the content on Netflix so that there are not regional distinctions. We’re still somewhat a prisoner of the current distribution architecture, we’re trying really hard to get there.”