The iPhone SE was the star attraction at Apple’s March 21 launch event at its 1, Infinite Loop headquarters in Cupertino, California. The rumors were more or less true and the iPhone SE came with a 4-inch screen, A9 processor and fingerprint scanner. There was also a 9.7-inch version of the iPad Pro expected to be announced along with new software and accessories for the Apple Watch.
Apple initially announced that the phone will be priced Rs 30,000 onwards, but later clarified that the price was actually Rs 39,000+.
UPDATE: Redington, the official distributor for Apple products in India, has announced that iPhone SE will be available starting April 8.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
IndianExpress.com was among the invitees at the event. Below are the highlights from our live blog:
10.55 AM – PST: 9.7-inch iPad Pro will for the first time have 256GB version. The device starts at $599.
10.49 AM – PST: 9.7-inch iPad Pro looks exactly like an iPad Air and supports Apple Pencil and Smart keyboard along with powerful accessories
10.47 AM – PST: 600 million PCs over 5 years old and Phil Schiller calls iPad Pro as PC replacement. Over 1 million apps designed for iPad Pro
10.44 AM – PST: Phil Schiller will take us through smaller iPad Pro
10.40 AM – PST: iOS 9.3 to have new features like passcode for notes
Highly Recommended: Apple iPhone SE first impression: iPhone 5S gets innards of iPhone 6s
10.36 AM – PST: Apple iPhone SE supports Apple Pay and comes with 12MP iSight camera same as iPhone 6s. Will cost $399 and India will get sometime in May
10.32 AM – PST: Apple iPhone SE announced with 4-inch display and A9 chip. The iPhone SE is similar in most aspect to the iPhone 6S, except for its size
10.30 AM – PST: Live Photos are coming to Apple TV OS and available as a free update beginning today
10.26 AM – PST: Apple Watch now cost $299 and will offer straps in new materials
10.24 AM – PST: Back to Tim Cook again and he is into products starting with Apple watch and new bands
10.21 AM – PST: Jeff Williams announces CareKit for Parkinson research. CareKit will be available in April and will be Open Sorce
10.17 AM – PST: Apple shows a video of studying Autism and Parkinson using Apple’s healthkit app
10.14 AM – PST: Jeff Williams on stage to talk about Apple’s health initiatives and ResearchKit
10.11 AM – PST: Apple showcases Liam which can recover materials from old iPhones and reintroduce them into the supply chain.
10.07 AM – PST: 100 percent renewable power in US and 22 other countries, says Lisa. Solar panel on rooftops in Singapore and data centres powered by clean sources of energy like Sun, Wind and water
10.05 AM – PST: Lisa Jackson on stage to talk about Apple’s responsibility towards environment. Remember Leonardo spoke about climate change at Oscar acceptance speech
10.04 AM – PST: iPhone is an extension of ourselves and Tim Cook steps into privacy debate rightaway
10.02 AM – PST: Over 1 billion Apple devices in use – Tim Cook
10.00 AM – PST: Apple starts in its traditional fashion – Video showing Apple’s 40 years in 40 seconds. Tim Cook enters the stage and the company celebrates 40th birthday on April 1
9.58 AM – PST: About to start and the radio sounds just awesome her
9.43 AM – PST: And we are inside. It is a very intimate event with about 200 people inside the Town Hall.
8.54 AM – PST: Just over an hour to go for the event. There is a long line outside the venue. However, this event is smaller in scale than regular Apple keynotes. Apple is calling it an “intimate event” by their standards.
8.30 AM – PST: The cream of the world tech press is here. A lot of familiar faces, including Walt Mossberg of Re/code
6.30 AM – PST: The morning of the Apple event has dawned and it will be an early start for those covering it. The event is expected to start at 10 am and will go on for at least a couple of hour.
And here is some perspective from Gartner. Apple is the second largest smartphone vendor with a 15.9 per cent market share, below Samsung at 22.5 per cent. iOS is behind Android as the second most popular OS. However, this gap is hope with Apple’s operating system at 15.9 per cent and Android at 81.6 per cent.