A day after prohibiting mobile operators from offering differential data tariff plans, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has asked them to adopt open standards, open source (software) technology, and open software codes to provide unbiased Internet connectivity.
“No service can be hostage to a particular technology,” Ram Sewak Sharma, TRAI chairman said adding that adoption of open-source (software) will help companies to avoid the vendor-locking situation and provide unbiased Internet connectivity to all.
Sharma, who was speaking at the India Digital Summit, hosted by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), also emphasised the need to use mobile phones as a means of digital connectivity in the country and as an effective instrument for digital transactions.
“Digital connectivity in India will also reduce the pressure on spectrum and Trai has sent its recommendations to the government on the same,” Sharma said.
Talking on TRAI’s differential pricing order that speaks about review process after two years, Sharma said two years is a long time for a technology-driven industry. “We will see which policies are still relevant and which need some change or upgrade during that period,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
On the contentious issue of call drops, he said in the latest round of drive tests the regulator had taken recommendations from the telecom operators into account. “We will analyse the results and take appropriate actions,” he said.
In the next round of drive tests, which is typically conducted every three months, Trai will cover seven cities and will extend to more cities, if required. FE