Yahoo has announced that it will be shutting down products like Yahoo Games, Yahoo LiveText, its regional media properties, and more as it tries to streamline business.
The Internet giant, which has been struggling for sometime now, announced in a Tumblr post that it will focus on seven core consumer products: Mail, Search, Tumblr, News, Sports, Finance and Lifestyle.
Yahoo Games site and publishing channel will be discontinued from Friday, May 13, 2016. For those who have made in-game purchases via the channel, they will now have to reach out to the game publisher to see what options they have for transferring the same. Yahoo says it has reached out to game publishers, and asked them to develop a transition plan for players in the coming days.
Yahoo Livetext, which was launched last year, is a real-time video texting app. Yahoo LiveText would let users send videos without sound and the company claimed that it was a faster form of video communication that relied on body language, rather than sound.
Now Yahoo is shutting it down, adding that it will incorporate the learnings and features into Yahoo products including Yahoo Messenger, which will become their core messaging platform.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Yahoo is also shutting down its regional, genre-specific media properties to streamline editorial offering and will now focus four core content areas: News, Sports, Finance and Lifestyle.
Yahoo Astrology will also close in UK, France, Germany, Spain and India. In addition to this, Yahoo Maktoob (Arabic and English) genre-specific media sites, including News, Celebrity, Movies, Style, Helwa, Sports and Weather, will close and the pages will redirect to the Yahoo Maktoob homepages in Arabic and English.