WhatsApp will end support for for its app for BlackBerry devices including BlackBerry 10 by the end of 2016, the company announced in a blog post. The company will also do away with WhatsApp Messenger for Nokia S40, Nokia Symbian S60, smartphones with Android 2.1, Android 2.2 and Windows Phone 7.1.
The announcement was made soon after WhatsApp celebrated its seventh anniversary and recently crossed over 1 billion users worldwide. ” As we look ahead to our next seven years, we want to focus our efforts on the mobile platforms the vast majority of people use,” it said. WhatsApp is shutting down its support for these mobile devices as they no longer ‘offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app’s features in the future’, according to the blog post .
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
WhatsApp said that 70 per cent of the devices in 2009 (when WhatsApp Messenger was launched) had either a BlackBerry or Nokia OS but the scenario has completely changed now. “Mobile operating systems offered by Google, Apple and Microsoft – which account for 99.5 percent of sales today – were on less than 25 percent of mobile devices sold at the time,” it said.
Blackberry itself has dropped BB10 in favour of Android and this move from WhatsApp just makes it clear that there is no life for BB10 devices.
WhatsApp recently announced a new update that brings eight tabs of emojis to WhatsApp Messenger instead of five. These include a tab with sports emojis, one with flags, bulbs and beverages. WhatsApp Android update with new emojis coming soon in India the new emojis include an upside down face, popcorn box, robot faces, a nerd face, an urn, turkey and even a middle finger emoji.