Twitter Inc’s 140-character tweets are here to stay, Chief Executive Jack Dorsey said on Friday, ending speculation that the microblogging site might abandon one of its trademark features for a 10,000-character limit.
“It’s staying. It’s a good constraint for us and it allows for of-the-moment brevity,” Dorsey said on NBC’s Today Show.
A Twitter spokesman declined to elaborate.
In January, technology news website Re/code reported that Twitter was building a new feature that would allow tweets as long as 10,000 characters.
- Twitter will no longer add photos, GIFs, etc to 140-character limit
- Twitter will stop counting Photos, GIFs, etc in 140-limit from September 19: Report
- Twitter has a new message for users on its 10th anniversary
- Twitter turns 10: Here's what the future looks like for the company
- Twitter considering 10,000 characters limit for tweets: Report
- Twitter introduces revamped website
Twitter has declined to comment on the feature directly. But Dorsey tweeted the day of the report that the company had seen more screenshots of text posted as a way to get around the 140-character limit.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We’re not going to be shy about building more utility and power into Twitter for people,” Dorsey wrote at the time, also in a screenshot of text that was longer than 140 characters.
Dorsey has changed some of Twitter’s core features since he returned to run Twitter permanently in October. Twitter has added “Moments,” which allows users to easily find tweets about the day’s biggest news stories, and changed the shape of its “favorite” icon from a star to a heart.