Telegram, the instant-messaging app, which was released two and half year back, now has over 100 million monthly active users. Telegram says it sees 350,000 new users sign up each day, and is delivering 15 billion messages daily.
Telegram was founded by Russian tech entrepreneur Pavel Durov, who had earlier founded Russia’s Facebook equivalent VKontakte.
Telegram had been in the news in the aftermath of the Paris attacks, with the government agencies accusing the app and its founders of ignoring the fact that ISIS was using it to spread terrorist propaganda. While Durov had defended the app, Telegram had then shut down the public channels that were supporting ISIS.
Telegram’s USP has been the secure chat feature, which the company claims ensures device level encryption and can’t be read by anyone, including the company. The secret chat lets users set a timer for a chat, and the message gets erased permanently after that fixed time.
Telegram also lets users upload files up to 1.5 GB, including .doc files, videos, audio, etc. The app recently announced a new super-group feature where users can add up 1000 members for a group.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
Telegram has optimised Supergroups to host large communities and load messages quickly. In Supergroups, new members can see the entire message history when they join, and a deleted message will disappear for all members.