Telegram, the instant-messaging app, which was released two and half year back, now has over 100 million monthly active users. Telegram says it sees 350,000 new users sign up each day, and is delivering 15 billion messages daily.
Telegram was founded by Russian tech entrepreneur Pavel Durov, who had earlier founded Russia’s Facebook equivalent VKontakte.
Telegram had been in the news in the aftermath of the Paris attacks, with the government agencies accusing the app and its founders of ignoring the fact that ISIS was using it to spread terrorist propaganda. While Durov had defended the app, Telegram had then shut down the public channels that were supporting ISIS.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Telegram’s USP has been the secure chat feature, which the company claims ensures device level encryption and can’t be read by anyone, including the company. The secret chat lets users set a timer for a chat, and the message gets erased permanently after that fixed time.
Telegram also lets users upload files up to 1.5 GB, including .doc files, videos, audio, etc. The app recently announced a new super-group feature where users can add up 1000 members for a group.
Telegram has optimised Supergroups to host large communities and load messages quickly. In Supergroups, new members can see the entire message history when they join, and a deleted message will disappear for all members.