The chances are your Instagram feed will look a little different when you open the app today, at least if you go by the panic from some of the celebrities on the social media site. The popular social platform had announced on March 15 that will be making changing its feed, to make it a mix of posts you are likely to care about, rather than just showing content based on chronological order.
Instagram’s blog post on the same had said, “The order of photos and videos in your feed will be based on the likelihood you’ll be interested in the content, your relationship with the person posting and the timeliness of the post. As we begin, we’re focusing on optimizing the order — all the posts will still be there, just in a different order.”
The post goes on to read,”If your favourite musician shares a video from last night’s concert, it will be waiting for you when you wake up, no matter how many accounts you follow or what time zone you live in. And when your best friend posts a photo of her new puppy, you won’t miss it.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Celebrity Instagram accounts meanwhile, are panicking thanks to the big change and you’ll find quite a few photos with the hashtags #turnmeon and #letsstaytogether asking their followers to turn on the notifications for all their posts.
Instagram celebrities are taking selfies pointing to the Follow button or with a text on their photo asking their following to Turn on Post Notifications pointing to the three little dots that appear on top of a photo. If you tap on the dot, you’ll now see an option to Turn on Notifications for a post. So far the hashtag #turnmeon has seen over 60,000 plus posts.
However the panic might have been overplayed a bit as Instagram has told ABC that the changes won’t roll out in one day. “We still have weeks, or even months, of testing to go. Currently the test groups are very small. When we roll it out broadly, we will let the community know,” the spokesperson told ABC.
The change when it does roll out fully will make the photo sharing social media site very similar to the Facebook News Feed, which is not surprising because given that the world’s largest social network owns Instagram. However, there are those who think this will also help with content discovery, which is now dependent on people searching for tags or keywords on the platform.
Facebook has been trying to boost the business potential of Instagram, even integrating the two ad networks offering greater reach for advertisements. This new feed could help widen the reach of such posts even more.
Instagram has close to 400 million monthly active users, which is more than Twitter.