3D Touch in the new Apple iPhone 6s series lets users peek aka get a preview of the content, without opening it. For instance, a slight press on messages in the new iPhones ‘pops’ up a preview of the message without the user having to open the message.
Apps like Instagram, Facebook, Dropbox, WhatsApp, etc have been using 3D Touch at the icon level, whereby users can go directly to a particular function on the app, when they do a hard press on the icon.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
However deeper app integration with 3D Touch is still not there in many apps, and it looks like Facebook plans to change this in its iOS app.
According to the TechCrunch report, Facebook says the 3D Touch feature will work on profiles, links, Groups, Facebook Events, and users will just have to do a light press to get a preview of the content without opening the link.
Facebook is currently testing the feature with a small group of users but it could take months before everyone gets the update.
The report quotes a Facebook spokesperson as saying, “We are excited to start rolling out support for 3D Touch in our iOS app so people can quickly and easily peek into a preview of anything they are interested in on Facebook, and pop into that content to see more.”
Apple’s 3D Touch technology is something that we could see in other smartphones as well. For instance, Huawei showed off its Mate S smartphone at IFA 2015 with a similar Force Touch technology and rumours also claim that Samsung could introduce a similar feature in its screen with the new Galaxy S7.