NASA has awarded aerospace and defense technology major Orbital ATK a contract to build Landsat 9, an advanced land surface mapping satellite to be operated by the US Geological Survey (USGS). Scheduled for launch in December of 2020, Landsat 9 will extend the Landsat programme’s record of global terrestrial imagery to half a century, the Dulles, Virginia-headquartered firm said in a statement on Tuesday.
“Orbital ATK is honoured to have been selected to build the next Landsat satellite,” said Steve Krein, Vice President of Science and Environmental Programmes at Orbital ATK.
“Landsat represents over four decades of imagery, providing valuable data for agriculture, global change research, emergency response, and disaster relief. We’re proud to build upon the success of our previous Landsat projects with the delivery of this new satellite,” Krein noted.
Under the contract, Orbital ATK will design and manufacture the satellite, integrate the two government furnished instruments with the spacecraft and support launch, early orbit operations and on-orbit check-out of the observatory.
Orbital ATK has a long history of supporting Landsat satellites including the success of the company-designed and built Landsat 8 satellite, which was launched in 2013.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The company was also responsible for the successful Landsat 4 and Landsat 5 satellites launched in 1982 and 1984.