Xiaomi’s popular budget smartphone, the Redmi 2 has gotten a price-cut of Rs 1000 as was widely expected. The Redmi 2 will now start at Rs 5999, down from the original Rs 6999 price. Xiaomi had earlier tweeted about a possible price-cut.
Check out Xiaomi’s tweet below: (App users click here to see tweet)
The phrase, ‘Paint the town Red,’ in the poster accompanying the tweet was seen as a confirmation that this is the Redmi 2.
- Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite sale today: Comparison with Redmi 4A on price, specifications
- Redmi Y1 review: Is this the new budget king from Xiaomi?
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 gets price cut to Rs 11,999 on Flipkart, Mi.com
- Xiaomi Redmi Y1, Redmi Y1 Lite launched for India: Are these worth considering?
- Xiaomi selfie series along with MIUI 9 launching today: Here's what to expect
- Xiaomi Diwali with Mi sale: Deals and discounts on Redmi Note 4, Redmi 4, Mi Max 2, and more
Xiaomi had recently announced a price-cut for the Redmi Note 4G which is now available for Rs 7,999, down from the original launch price of Rs 9,999. Additionally the Xiaomi Mi 4 (16GB) was given a price cut. Launched in January at a price of Rs 19,999, the 16GB version of Mi 4 is now priced at Rs 14,999. The Mi 4 was first introduced in China last year.
The Redmi 2 has a 4.7-inch 720p HD IPS fully laminated display with AGC Dragontrail glass protection (no Gorrilla Glass). It has an 8 megapixel rear camera, and a 2 megapixel front camera. Redmi 2 runs Android 4.4.4 KitKat operating system with MIUI 6 skin on top. It also has a 64-bit 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 CPU based on Cortex A53 with Adreno 306 GPU, 1GB LPDDR3 RAM and 8GB ROM which can be expanded up to 32GB. It is powered by a 2,200 mAh battery with Quick Charge technology. The Redmi 2 is a 4G device as well and offers 4G on both SIM slots.
In terms of budget phones, the Redmi 2 has emerged as popular leader in the category and price-cut could just give it the boost it needs. Redmi 2 will be available for Rs. 5,999 on Mi.com and across all Mi India partners including Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal, The Mobile Store and Airtel.