Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fiasco raises questions over company’s battery business

Samsung has issued a statement saying it has found 35 devices with problematic batteries globally so far.

By: Tech Desk | Published:September 7, 2016 1:51 pm
Samsung, Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Galaxy Note 7, Samsung galaxy Note 7 battery, Samsung galaxy Note 7 battery issue, Galaxy Note 7 battery exploding, Samsung galaxy Note 7 features, Samsung galaxy Note 7 specifications, Samsung galaxy Note 7 prices, Android, smartphones, technology, technology news Samsung has issued a statement saying it has found 35 devices with problematic batteries globally so far.

Samsung has recalled around 2.5 million units of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, amid reports of the device’s battery exploding for some users. The recall comes at a time when Apple is ready to launch its new set of devices, including iPhone 7 Plus, which is seen as a direct competitor to the Note series. The batteries were supplied by Samsung SDI, company’s own battery making division and for the first time the spotlight is on this division. The whole battery fiasco is already costing company about $1 billion, according to a Bloomberg report and Samsung SDI shares have taken a beating, according to a report on Wall Street Journal.

The WSJ report points out that while Samsung SDI provided 70 per cent of batteries for Galaxy Noye 7, the other 30 per cent for units sold in China were supplied by Chinese manufacturer ATL. Interestingly the report also adds Samsung SDI was listed as supplier for Apple in 2016 as well. But Samsung SDI hasn’t come up with a statement on whether is still supplying batteries to Apple, especially in case of the new iPhone 7.

However, Apple denied it is using the same battery as Galaxy Note 7 for its products. An Apple spokeswoman told WSJ, “We do not use the same battery cell type as the recalled Samsung Note 7. And all of our products exceed the highest quality standards and are unaffected by this defect.”

Samsung has issued a statement saying it has found 35 devices with problematic batteries globally so far. The company will replace Galaxy Note 7 with a Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge for users in the US in the coming weeks. The Korean smartphone maker seeks to replace all units of galaxy Note 7 shipped globally due to potential damage of explosion.

Video: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 First Look

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 iswas unveiled globally on August 2. It comes with high-end specifications. The flagship smartphone is priced at Rs 59,990 in India. Specifications of Galaxy Note 7 are a 5.7-inch Quad HD dual edge Super AMOLED display, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, iris scanner for security, and 3,500 mAh battery. It comes with a new S-Pen. Samsung also launched its new Gear VR, Gear Fit 2 and Icon X earbuds along with Galaxy Note 7 in India.