Moto G back in store: Here are 5 things to know before you commit yourself

It's easy to go ga-ga over the Moto G, but there are certain things you should know before you buy it

Written by Mihir Patkar | Updated: March 4, 2014 9:55 am
Moto G can be yours for Rs 12,499 Moto G can be yours for Rs 12,499

Motorola’s Moto G is arguably the best budget smartphone you can buy right now, but it is not without its shortcomings. It’s easy to go ga-ga over a handset that offers so much for so low a price, but there are certain things you should know about it before you plonk down your hard-earned money.

1) There’s no USB cable and no headphones, so you’ll have to buy your own

It’s quite disappointing that these two basic amenities aren’t packaged with the Moto G when devices at less than half its price ship with them. That’s going to be an added cost to you, so don’t forget to factor it in. For a basic cable and in-ear headphones, you’ll have to spend an extra Rs 550—and more if you want quality materials. By comparison, the Micromax Canvas 4 ships with flat tangle-free cables while several other manufacturers like Wickedleak and iBall throw in an additional battery to swap.

2) The battery cannot be removed or swapped for a different one

Speaking of swappable batteries, while the 2070mAh battery of the Moto G is going to be enough for most users, power users will want more. But if you absolutely must have a smartphone with a removable battery that you can swap out when the need arises, then the Moto G isn’t for you.

Moto G Black Back

3) There is no microSD card slot for additional memory

The lack of a microSD memory card slot can be a major drawback and even a deal-breaker for many. If you like to store a lot of music and movies on your phone, the Moto G’s 8GB or 16GB of internal memory is going to be too little. Plus, just three HD games—FIFA 14, Asphalt 8 and Call of Duty: Strike Team—take up 5GB of space now, so what do you do?

4) The camera is a major letdown

The Moto G has a 5-megapixel snapper on the back which is only good for photographs to be taken in bright daylight. There are a number of issues which we touch upon in our quick-read review of the Moto G, but its shoddy low-light performance means that anyone who likes shooting photos indoors, at parties or at nights will not be happy with the results of this. You should not get rid of that point-and-shoot camera.

5) After-sales service

One of the main reasons to consider a reputable company like Samsung over local manufacturers is the superior after-sales service that international firms typically offer. But that’s not the case with Motorola. The metros are well served, but move outside those, and you’ll find only one or maybe two service centers for cities and states the size of Chattisgarh, Pune, Goa, Mangalore, Chandigarh, etc.

Despite these limitations, does it make sense to buy the Motorola Moto G? Read the Motorola Moto G quick-read review

For all the latest Tech News, download Indian Express App now

1. G
    gopal
    Feb 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
    After service of Motorola is worst. Do'nt buy this phone. Buy any samsung,micromax or sony.
    1. G
      Gjain123
      Aug 6, 2015 at 12:03 am
      Motorola, you have the worst after s service in India. You will not find email address or contact number of any senior employee to go to. And we all know that customer care is useless, especially of Motorola. In a gist, Motorola considers its customers not worthy enough to share even the email ids of its senior employees. All U will find is a toll free customer care number which will never care about ur problem and a generic mail id where no one replies. I agree, the product is good. But no company has survived in India for long without a good after s service. Dear prospective buyers. Keep your fingers crossed when you buy a Moto next time! In case you have already fallen prey to their cheap product, do not waste your time running after their useless service centres or calling their customer care. Here is a link that you can use once your frustration level at their after s service crosses the threshold limit.
      1. G
        Gjain123
        Aug 6, 2015 at 12:05 am
          ruhi
          Jun 14, 2015 at 4:56 pm
          Buy it from here :)
            Steve Mcd
            Jan 18, 2015 at 7:32 pm
            I have the Moto G 1st generation handset. It is a great phone I thought for the money. It runs all apps without hesitation and battery life is awesome. I even went as far as purchasing an otterbox for the phone to ensure it lasts me a couple years. The screen quality and responsiveness is excellent as well and I could not be happier with my purchase. Every phone has its disadvantages and I am glad mine is not worth $600-1000. All you have to do is leave it behind somewhere and you are most definitely buying another handset at full price.
              Man
              Jul 17, 2014 at 11:58 am
              Moto g has OTG support so you can buy any local otg cable for 100 bucks and use your pendrive to store stuffs. Also now sandisk pendrives are available on flipkart having both microusb abd usb ports so they can be directly used with motog. Even nexus and most of the samsung devices dont have otg support. I use my 16gb pendrive like this and i think its a good alternative(not as convenient as sd card but still provides u an option)
              1. J
                Johnson
                Oct 23, 2014 at 3:05 am
                Its good... only issue is that its volume goes off all of a sudden... No incoming ringtone.. no message tone... no built-in system sound.... You won't be able to hear the person while calling... absolutely no sound... This happens at least twice a day for my set... Googled a lot about it... but no satisfactory solution... Only option is to restart the set... I don't mind restarting once or twice... but every time I have to restart it to fix this problem... thats rather annoying... Other than that..its a good set... And yes.. it does come with earphone... data cable I had to purchase separately... Any solution how to fix the volume issue..?
                1. C
                  CA.
                  Mar 4, 2014 at 9:11 am
                  As regards the first point, there is a headset with the Moto G. I can say because I bought it and have recevied the headset.
                    DannyGoncalves
                    Aug 27, 2014 at 3:10 am
                    It does have an usb Cable its the only accesorie it brings
                      palani
                      Mar 4, 2014 at 6:22 am
                      yes it make sense to by motorola. Best hardware ever you will find. Lasts long better than any other phone.
                      1. G
                        Gokul
                        Mar 5, 2014 at 2:09 pm
                        i got head set with it and its a budget smartphone,not adigital camera.....
                        1. J
                          Jith Thomas
                          Jul 31, 2014 at 4:59 am
                          You can use the OTG pendrive in Moto G. Of course its not an alternative for SD Card. but still its useful to transfer things to and from your phone. Easy and fast
                            Abdul Jabbar
                            Mar 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm
                            How much money Micromax paid you to write this article?
                            1. L
                              lynda
                              May 29, 2014 at 10:15 pm
                              My MotoG is offline, does anyone know how to switch it back, I need help,
                                Mahit Huilgol
                                Mar 3, 2014 at 11:44 am
                                The post says Moto G doesn't ship with headphones but it actually ships with the same. Camera is not that bad for a 5MP sensor at a Budget price. iPhone 5S too lacks a memory card slot and retails and still retails at 43k. Canvas 4 has failed miserable in the market due to its crippled hardware.I feel this entire post has been written just to nitpick about the G. Check out Moto G detailed review here-:goo.gl/8sRNqnP.S- I do agree to some points like the After s service.
                                1. N
                                  nand
                                  Mar 4, 2014 at 9:02 pm
                                  Moto G comes with a headset. I got it from flipkart. 50 gb google drive more than enough for the cloud. future is for cloud so better come out of usb and microSD. Most respected bs comes with fixed battery and it gives good performance sync. USB data cable are available everywhere @ Rs. 75 , if you really need it else sync with cloud and transfer to your HDD . As far as service I feel we depend on mega bs -trio , google-motorolla-lenevo.Rest is history!
                                    Saurav Chatterjee
                                    Apr 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm
                                    Dude, its true, i loved the phone until i drowned it in water, as after that there was no support at all, leave warranty, Service center returns the phone unrepaired.
                                      Ravi Shetty
                                      Sep 11, 2014 at 12:47 pm
                                      I have problem when I go from network to non network it is not changing network in automatic mode I have to manually set it n again coming back to network manually I have to change , my earlier cell would change in auto mode but moto g 16 GB is not & my IMEI starts with 3533 which is a defective series will company change or after changing same problem will occur ?
                                        smith
                                        Mar 23, 2014 at 5:21 am
                                        so should i buy it today
                                          Sreenash Ts
                                          Mar 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm
                                          I think, writer of this article dont know full details about the Moto G. As I own a Moto G which I bought from flipkart ( :www.flipkart/motoro... ) last month..I would like to share some information about Moto g against the above 5 points.1. Moto G comes with headphone and charger inside the box in India. Anyone can buy usb cable for less than Rs.100 whcich is not a big price this WiFi world, connecting cable is an old fashion as well.2. Moto G is a water resistant phone up to some extent. Its non removable battery is designed for creating a water repellent layer. Also battery gives much better backup as well.3. when talking about its memory, as it support USB otg functionality, memory is not a big problem. We can easily connect any usb pendrive,and some eHdd through otg cable and access and play files in the pendrive. Otg cable cost about only Rs.100 in online sites. We can also make use of free 50gb Google drive storage.4 good lighting condition, camera gives good output. At the given price, camera is not a big problem. When viewing photos in its HD display, I did not feel any trouble regarding camera.5. I am living in a remote area and not in metro, but I found out motorola service center within 50Kms from My home. Inside the Moto g box, I got the details about the nearest service center as wellIn conclusion Moto G is a Google made Motorola phone. I did not believe Google will make customers fool.We can really feel the excellent build quality. If any one changed the plan from buying moto g after reading the above article.They will surely miss the best android phone in Indian Market.
                                            Sreenash Ts
                                            Mar 20, 2014 at 4:09 pm
                                            I think, writer of this article dont know fulldetails about the Moto G. As I own a Moto G which I bought from flipkart ast month..I would like to share some information about Moto g against the above 5 points.1. Moto G comes with headphone and charger inside the box in India. Anyone can buyusb cable for less than Rs.100 whcich is not a big price.2. Moto G is a water resistant phone up to some extent. Its non removable batteryis designed for creating a water repellent layer.3. when talking about its memory, as it support USB otg functionality, memory isnot a big problem. We can easily connect any usb pendrive,and some eHdd throughotg cable and access and play files in the pendrive. Otg cable cost about onlyRs.100 in online sites. We can also make use of free 50GB space ingoogle drive4 good lighting condition, camera gives good output. At the given price, camerais not a big problem. When viewing photos in its HD display, I did not feel anytrouble regarding camera.5. I am living in a remote area and not in metro, but I found out motorola servicecenter within 50Kms from My home. Inside the Moto g box, I got the detailsabout the nearest service center as wellIn conclusion Moto G is a Google made Motorola phone. I did not believe Googlewill make customers fool.We can really feel the excellent build quality. If anyone changed the plan from buying moto g after reading the above article.Theywill surely miss the best android phone in Indian Market.