Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 Mobile for select smartphones

Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 Mobile for Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540 and few other devices

By: Tech Desk | Updated: March 18, 2016 6:00 pm
Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL were the first devices to feature Windows 10 Mobile Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL were the first devices to feature Windows 10 Mobile

Microsoft has finally announced the official rollout of Windows 10 Mobile to older smartphones running Windows Phone 8.1. The rollout is almost a full year late from its initial announcement.

Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 Mobile with its flagship Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL devices. It later announced two more budget devices, Lumia 550 and Lumia 650 running Windows 10 Mobile but kept older Windows Phone users wondering about the update.

The new update is however, available for smartphones from Microsoft and Nokia and not the special edition HTC One M8. So those using HTC One M8 Windows Edition are definitely out of luck here.

The list of devices that are eligible for Windows 10 Mobile upgrade (Source: Microsoft) The list of devices that are eligible for Windows 10 Mobile upgrade (Source: Microsoft)

Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 Mobile for Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, and the MCJ Madosma Q501.

As we noted in our review of Lumia 950 XL, Windows 10 Mobile is very much in its early development stages and often there are hiccups with these flagships. Microsoft is offering Windows 10 Mobile to only specific set of devices which Redmond considers would work fine with new operating system.

Microsoft notes in its blog that it wants to keep the quality of experience high with Windows 10 Mobile and limited set of devices will steer it in the right direction.

For all the latest Technology News, download Indian Express App

kitty
    Mar 18, 2016 at 7:02 pm
    I have the m8 and ill not be able to update...i feel like I'm going to apple but I know I'm wrong.
  2. B
    bikash
    Mar 18, 2016 at 8:53 pm
    Lumia 930 till now no updates :(
  3. L
    Lumiauser
    Mar 19, 2016 at 1:25 am
    For those who aren't getting the OS upgrade is because the wireless companies have to test out the Windows 10 Mobile OS to make sure it works with all of the bells and whistles before being distributed to the Lumias and other Windows Phones alike. It'll take a couple of months for the OS to get approved for the Windows Phones.
  4. H
    Hadley Hbk
    Mar 18, 2016 at 7:45 am
    Wow !!! Just updated my Lumia 830 !!
  5. J
    joey
    Mar 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm
    Got a 640 with ATT, still haven't received it:(
    Kevin Lopota Jr.
    Mar 18, 2016 at 8:05 pm
    My 640 from metropcs won't let me get it and I am very upset, they promised on the box that it would be the first phone to get it and that is why I bought it now half a year later nothing. Nobody at metro knows anything about it WTF!!! I am quickly loosing patience with it.
    parthiba
    Mar 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm
    Is the update available to insiders??
    Prashant
    Aug 24, 2016 at 4:25 am
    i upgrade it from 8.1 to Win 10 for my lumia 535 DS, after a month or so i have an problem with my Headphone when i connect to the phone the media file get stop after few seconds, i have visted the service centre they said that it is not officially launched for and the problem is beacuse of Win 10 OS, if anyone had a same problem?