The jury is still out on whether Apple iPhone SE has the price to make it sell in India, but Apple dealers here feel the phone will help fill a void. The phone, which uses the popular iPhone 5s chassis, has specs similar to the iPhone 6s, including the A9 chipset, fingerprint scanner and 4K video capture. It will hit the stores in India April 8.
In an email interaction with IndianExpress.com, Prateek Hak, National Business Head for Apple Mobility Business at Rashi Peripherals, one of Apple’s authorised resellers in India, said the iPhone SE strategically fills in the void between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 5s. “The iPhone 6 16GB has an MRP starting at Rs 52,000 while the iPhone 5S 32GB is priced at an MRP of Rs 30,000. The iPhone SE, with MRP of about 40,000, fits well between iPhone 6 16GB and iPhone 5S 32GB, bridging the pricing gap in the iPhone lineup.”
“With that being said, iPhone SE will face challenges since iPhone 6 16GB has a lower operating price in the market, but we are hopeful the market operating price of the 6 will rebound,” he said, adding that it was better to wait for pre-bookings to begin on Tuesday, March 29.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He says that since the introduction of larger screen iPhones, there has always been a market segment that has preferred a smaller iPhone that fits in one’s palm. “There isn’t a 4-inch smartphone in the market that provides a premium build, and is backed by powerful specs. iPhone SE is a device that is built small but is expected to live large, he said, adding that marquee iPhone features at an affordable price is likely to appeal to iPhone customers with budget considerations.
Despite the online price of iPhone 6 16GB being Rs 33,999, Hak says the phone is supposed to be “about 25 per cent more expensive than the SE from an MRP standpoint”. He is hopeful that the market operating price of iPhone 6 16GB will rebound soon.
Hak said the new iPad Pro will do well as the new iPad Pro brings versatility to the line up. “Since all the features of the Pro are condensed into a smaller screen and a lower price point, we expect the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro to become the industry favourite,” he added.