After being one of the first to partner with Mozilla for launching low cost Firefox OS smartphones in India, domestic smartphone manufacturer Intex Technologies has now teamed up with Jolla for the latest Sailfish 2.0 platform.
With a market share of 10.5 percent, Intex plans to announce Sailfish-based products later in the year. The first Sailfish 2.0 OS smartphone from Intex called Aqua Fish is expected by November. The price will be below Rs 10,000 and will come with 4G support.
Last year, when Jolla launched its first smartphone in India, the brand showed interest in opening its Sailfish platform to domestic smartphone manufacturers. Intex is first smartphone brand to join the Sailfish bandwagon globally.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Intex Cloud String V2.0 with SOS feature launched exclusively on Flipkart at Rs 6,499
- Intex Aqua Ring launched exclusively on Amazon India at Rs 3,999
- Intex Aqua Fish with Sailfish OS launched at Rs 5,499
- MWC Shanghai: Intex and Jolla to launch Sailfish OS 2.0 smartphone by November
- MWC Shanghai: Intex launches smartwatch, to launch Sailfish 2.0 smartphone
- We want to change the way Indians look at smartphones: Jolla founders
Intex showcased a reference model at MWC Shanghai 2015. The device will be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. The reference model sports the latest Sailfish 2.0 operating system and is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 CPU with 1GB RAM and 8GB internal memory which can be expanded up to 32GB via microSD card. Powered by a 2,300 mAh battery, it supports 4G and sports a 4.7-inch 720p HD display.
“Together with the Sailfish India ecosystem partners we believe that we can provide an exciting new choice for smartphone lovers in India and later globally as well,” said Sanjay Kalirona, Head Mobile Business, Intex Technologies. While the brand has interest in platforms like Firefox and Sailfish, apart from Android, surprisingly Intex has not shown much interest in Windows Phone. “While we want to provide more platform options to consumers, we are not sure about launching a Windows Phone currently given the market conditions,” said Kalirona.
Jolla and Intex are trying to differentiate themselves in the Indian market and have promised to provide an India specific Sailfish store with more compatibility for Android apps.
“In our BRICS country strategy we have been proceeding fastest in India, which is one the most important markets in the future of mobile. We have seen a lot of interest among Indian mobile device manufacturers, digital media houses, and operators, and they are all very keen to work with an alternative to the currently dominating mobile operating systems. India needs and deserves its own regional mobile ecosystem, an open platform, which supports local Indian services and businesses,” said Antti Saarnio, Executive Chairman of Jolla.
The latest Sailfish 2.0 upgrade will come to first gen Jolla smartphone users in India next month. The much talked about crowd sourced Jolla tablet running Sailfish 2.0 is expected to arrive in August. The upgraded OS features a simpler Swipe UI and comes with better support for Android apps.