Computers changed our homes and office. Smartphones changed how we move about. Tablets… well, tablets are nice. But they aren’t essential. You might want one and it can be useful, but tablets are rarely a “must-have” item.
As a single user, if you own a smartphone of about 5 inches or more, and a laptop with an 11 or 13 inch screen, there’s little use for a tablet. It’s nice to have it, but you aren’t going to do much with it. It’ll soon become ornamental. A better strategy is to buy yourself a better phone or laptop with the money you’d spend on a tablet.
The common logic is that the excellent battery life of tablets makes them the perfect travel companions for professionals. There is some truth to that, but it’s difficult to get work done on tablets with the same level of quality or ease that you do with a laptop. Charge your laptop more consistently and your tablet’s battery life on those trips becomes redundant.
That said, tablets are great for a few things…
Reading Comics and Web Articles
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
E-readers don’t have colour, so if you want to read a comic book or a web article with illustrated graphics and videos, a tablet is a better experience. But if books is all you want, stick with a Kindle.
Best With: 7-inch or 8-inch Tablets
Large tablets get difficult to hold with one hand for a long time, because they are too heavy. Skip that, stick with the smaller ones if reading is what you primarily want a tablet for. My personal preference is 8-inch tabs.
Playing Hi-Def Games
Tablets display your favourite mobile games on a larger screen, so it’s a more immersive gaming experience. It’s also far better to play games that require multi-touch input on these bigger screens.
Best With: 10-inch Tablets
Games will guzzle up your battery, and it’s tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the iPad Air which have the room to fit mammoth battery backups. Plus, with screens for games, the bigger the better.
If you have kids, tablets are awesome. Like a laptop screen is big enough for you, tablet screens are big enough for kids. Plus, there are plenty of apps—both educational and entertaining— to keep kids occupied.
Best With: Any Size
Don’t overthink it, buy the best tablet for your budget, irrespective of size.