It has been over four years since the first iPad made its appearance. We are past the “I must have a tablet!” phase and into the “Do I really need a tablet?” phase. If you have limited uses for a slate, then you should spend as little as possible for a good enough experience. And that’s what Flipkart is offering with the Digiflip Pro XT 712.
Specs: 7-inch IPS screen (1280×800 pixels, 216 ppi) | 1.3GHz quad-core Cortex A7 CPU | 1GB RAM | 16GB internal memory, microSD slot (up to 32GB) | 5MP rear camera, 2MP front camera | 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB | 3000mAh battery | Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
Price: Rs. 9,999
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Specifications only tell one part of the story though, and tablets are extensively used only in a few scenarios. So with that in mind, let’s see how the XT 712 does in common tablet uses:
Reading Articles, Books and Comics
The XT 712 is heavier than other 7-inch tablets I have used. Although it’s still not uncomfortable to hold for a long period, you’ll be happier if you rest it somewhere. The screen is dull, so reading comics or colourful articles lacks the punch you would want. Still, it’s good enough for e-books.
Watching Movies and Photos
Like comics, videos and photos also suffer from the dull screen. Add to this, the speaker volume is too low to drown out noises around you. You’ll need to wear a good pair of earphones. The bigger problem is 1080p MKV videos. If you are skipping forward or rewinding, or if there is a fast-paced high-action scene, the XT 712 can’t handle it. This is not how we wanted to watch The Avengers. Still, it’s not a 1080p screen, so if you are running 720p videos (like you should be), then it’s perfectly fine.
Most websites work fine in portrait mode, and the XT 712 is a solid experience. You can also add two SIM cards to browse the Internet on-the-go, although this guzzles the battery too.
Writing Emails and Documents
A 7-inch tablet almost forces you to use it in portrait mode rather than landscape, because in landscape mode, the keyboard takes up most of the screen. So it’s essentially a slightly larger version of the keyboard you find on your phone. I don’t know about you, but that has never been a big enough difference for me to recommend writing 500 words or more on a tablet.
For a tablet with an HD screen and a quad-core processor, the gaming experience on the XT 712 is only passable. Most games will play well, but not at the highest graphics settings. But know that it’s only 5-point touch, not 10-point.
-The battery life is poor, lasting for just over 4 hours of continuous video playback.
-The plain, no-fuss design is just that- no fuss. No one’s going to say anything great or anything horrible about its looks. The lack of Gorilla Glass is annoying though. You’ll need to put a scratch-guard on this one.
-With a budget tablet, you get a budget camera. Use it sparingly, this shooter has plenty of problems.
-You can use those Dual-SIM slots for taking phone calls too.
The Digiflip Pro XT 712 is the best tablet currently under Rs. 10,000- not so much because of what it is, but more because of what it is not. It’s not a tablet with bad build quality that you can feel squeezing as you apply pressure. It’s not a tablet with a screen that has viewing angle issues or a low resolution. It’s not a tablet with only Wi-Fi connectivity. And all of those “it’s not” factors come together to make it a good enough tablet for a good enough price.