The company CEO John Chen has revealed plans to launch two new mid-range smartphones with one of those coming as soon as next month. According to a GSMArena report, BlackBerry CEO John Chen confirmed the plans for two new budget smartphones at an investor call.
- BlackBerry ‘Key2’ global launch set for June 7 in New York
- New smartphone player Tambo enters India, sets sight on budget segment
- BlackBerry’s new full touchscreen phone is coming soon and will be ‘Made in India’
- BlackBerry to launch two mid-range Android phones this year, says CEO
- BlackBerry wants to sell 5 mn phones, else it might quit the handset business
- Watch: BlackBerry CEO John Chen demo company’s new Android Priv smartphone
The GSMArena has quoted John Chen as saying, “I’m not really prepared to unveil that. I guess, I was thinking about doing that more in July timeframe. I have spoken about having two of them in between now and the end of this fiscal year, and they usually they both of them more in the mid range and mid to high, not going to be a high end phone.”
Earlier rumours had hinted that the next mid-range BlackBerry smartphone would feature Priv like physical QWERTY keyboard while the other one will be a touchscreen device.
BlackBerry in its investor call has said the company sold nearly 5,00,000 smartphones, which is a 50 per cent decline year-on-year. The GSMArena further states that John Chen is very optimistic about smartphone business and plans to make money out of device business soon.