Apple iOS 7.1 is here. I have been looking forward to it, hoping that my iPhone 4, which slowed down dramatically in the weeks since I upgraded to iOS 7, would get a new lease of life. A couple of days after the upgrade, I think it is time to tell you if it is worth the effort.
Yes, it took the customary three tries to get this iOS upgrade through. It would be great if iTunes is able to continue an operating system download where it was paused, often due to an erratic broadband connection. The 150MB download is ‘fast’ and took me about an hour with Airtel’heys 4Mbps connection.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Shock and awe
There was absolutely no shock and awe. In fact, I was not even sure the install was done as everything from the wallpapers to the apps on the homepage looked the same. But the difference was visible when my phone rang for the first time. The rectangular swipe to answer bbutton had been replaced by a very Androidish-looking red and green buttons. The ‘Remind Me’ and ‘Message’ buttons on the call screen had also changed.
No big change in user experience here, but I can live with it.
The other big change is when you make a call. The numbers are laid out like before, but the call buttons is now a green circle instead of the rectangle before. Again, nothing great.
Nothing major, but the Weather apps is a bit different, so is the calendar. Mostly design changes that won’t impact your life much.
There are changes in Siri and the virtual assistant seems to have been reined in a bit. But I use a iPhone 4 and could not check what’s new.
We also noticed that the keypad is now a bit different and has more breathing space between the letters.
I faced one major problem. I am in the habit of responding to calls with ‘will call back’ messages. I haven’t been able to send one succesfully since the upgrade and I have no idea why this is happening. I was expecting issues with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but both worked smoothly and I did not even have to link again after the upgrade.
Is it worth it?
Well, I did not find anything that made me jump up in joy, except for the fact that my phone it a tad bit faster now. But I suggest you go ahead with the upgrade as there is nothing wrong with the version. I would have loved some really new features, instead of minor bug bixes and design tweaks.