It is time for CarPlay after AirPlay. Apple has announced that leading auto manufacturers are rolling out its “smarter, safer and more fun way” to use iPhone in the car.
A company release said CarPlay gives iPhone users an intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch. “Users can easily control CarPlay from the car’s native interface or just push-and-hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate Siri without distraction,” is said.
The feature will first appear in vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo this week, while Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp are line for adoption soon.
“CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing.
This is how it will work
- Once iPhone is connected to a vehicle with CarPlay integration, Siri helps you easily access your contacts, make calls, return missed calls or listen to voicemails.
- When incoming messages or notifications arrive, Siri provides an eyes-free experience by responding to requests through voice commands, by reading drivers’ messages and letting them dictate responses or simply make a call.
- CarPlay makes driving directions more intuitive by working with Maps to anticipate destinations based on recent trips via contacts, emails or texts, and provides routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA.
- You can also simply ask Siri and receive spoken turn-by-turn directions, along with Maps, which will appear on your car’s built-in display.
CarPlay gives drivers access to all of their music, podcasts and audiobooks with easy navigation through listening choices from the car’s built-in controls or simply by asking Siri to pull up what you’d like to hear.
- CarPlay also supports select third-party audio apps including Spotify and iHeartRadio, so you can listen to your favourite radio services or sports broadcast apps while driving.
Apple CarPlay is available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5. It will be available in select cars shipping in 2014.
For all the latest Tech News, download Indian Express App now