Apple’s working on a big 5.8-inch iPhone with an OLED display, claim some reports online, citing patents and supply chain sources.
The first is report from DigiTimes, via Motley Fool, which states that Apple is working on the 5.8 display with OLED. The report, which has been quoted by MacRumors and 9to5Mac claims that Apple is working with Samsung, LG and Sharp for the OLED panels.
DigiTimes quotes supply chain sources and says that Apple will ship 50 million of these 5.8-inch OLED iPhones. The OLED Display rumour is not the first one to come out in recent times, and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Apple is known for working on a new product lines for years, before they finally hit the market.
Earlier, South Korea’s Electronic Times had reported that LG Display and the panel-making unit of Samsung Electronics will supply organic light emitting diode (OLED) screens for Apple’s iPhones.
The report added that LG and Samsung Display are close to a final agreement with Apple for the screens, and the two Korean firms plan a combined 15 trillion won ($12.8 billion) in capital expenditure to build up OLED production capacity over the next two to three years.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
A report in Japan’s Nikkei newspaper also claimed that Apple plans to start using OLED screens for iPhones starting in 2018.
Another report on MacRumors quotes DisplayMate’s Ray Soneira as saying that “Apple could be planning to implement ‘folded edge side screens’ on a future iOS device using a flexible OLED display,” which makes the device bezel-less.
If Apple does launch a 5.8-inch iPhone, then it would bigger than the current Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge and even the Galaxy Note 5. Interestingly Apple is expected to launch a 4-inch iPhone SE smartphone towards the end of March.
With inputs from agencies
More Apple rumours: Apple iPhone 7 won’t have a 3.5 mm headphone jack, says new report