Diwali came early this year for some Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users, and has continued for some more as their replacement Note 7 phones have caught fire. A new video has surfaced on YouTube that shows a Note 7 (claimed to be a replacement unit) catching fire at a Burger King in South Korea. There have already been five cases on the replacement units catching fire in the US, and the Burger King incident takes Korea’s number to two.
Users can see in the video of a Burger King employee with baking gloves trying to recover a Galaxy Note 7 clearly smoldering on a table. The staffer is eventually able to pick up the device and presumably taken out of the premises.
This has been the seventh reported accident with a Galaxy Note 7 replacement unit worldwide.
Samsung had started reselling the Note 7 phones with a special green symbol on the back, claiming that these units were devoid of the defect as the recalled units. The company has now temporarily stopped the production of the device, with many US carriers have decided to stop the sale of these replacement units altogether.
A lot of people have received injuries since the first Galaxy Note 7 incident came out. Samsung started a voluntary recall of the phones, but after 35-40 odd incidents with the Note 7 units – the company officially recalled the device. FAA and DGCA have issued warnings, that stop flyers from carrying this devices in their check-in luggage. People who carry them on board have been asked to not charge the phones or turn them on.
Even with all the precautions, a Note 7 replacement unit caught fire on a Southwest Airlines aircraft last week, which ended in the plane being evacuated on the ground.
In another report, a 13-year-old girl Abby Zuis from USA found that her replacement Note 7 unit was burning in her hands. The heat emitted by the unit was able to melt the cover of the phone it was put in.
Michael Klering, another replacement Note 7 user in the US was woken up at 4 am as his room was full of smoke, and saw that his Note 7 was on fire. He was taken to the hospital with acute bronchitis caushed by smoke inhalation.
For all the latest Tech News, download Indian Express App now