Apple iPhone 7 running on Qualcomm modems faster than Intel ones

Apple iPhone 7 phones running on Qualcomm modems are out performing phones running on Intel chipset

By: Tech Desk | Published:October 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Apple, apple iphone 7, iphone 7, iphone 7 qualcomm chipset, intel iphone 7, qualcomm wireless modem in iphone 7, intel modem iphone 7, Qualcomm, intel, iphone 7 speeds, iphone 7 difference in speeds, smartphone, technology, technology news Apple iPhone 7 devices powered by Qualcomm did 30 per cent better in performance, and 70 per cent better in terms of signal strength

It has already been over a month since the Apple iPhone 7 launched, and as it turns out the Cupertino giant is shipping these phones with one of two wireless modem chips – from either Qualcomm or Intel. New reports have suggested that the phones running on the Intel chip are considerably slower to the devices fitted with the Qualcomm chip.

LTE connectivity tests done by Cellular Insights has shown that the difference in performance in the phones from the different modem chip makers is big. According to the report, iPhone 7 devices powered by Qualcomm did 30 per cent better in performance, and 70 per cent better in terms of signal strength when compared to their Intel counterparts.

Cellular Insights did the tests on the iPhone 7 devices in three different LTE bands, and the Qualcomm models were able to outperform the Intel models across the board. Intel powered iPhone 7 models also perform worse in terms of download speeds as compared to Qualcomm phones.

The iPhone 7 phones running on Intel do not support Ultra HD Voice, or Enhanced Voice Services, while the Qualcomm units do.

“In all tests, the iPhone 7 Plus with the Qualcomm modem had a significant performance edge over the iPhone 7 Plus with the Intel modem. We are not sure what was the main reason behind Apple’s decision to source two different modem suppliers for the newest iPhone. Considering that the iPhone with the Qualcomm modem is being sold in China, Japan and in the United States only, we can not imagine that modem performance was a deciding factor,” the Cellular Insights report added.

Apple has not yet talked about why it has chosen wireless chips from two manufacturers instead of one. Apple had exclusively used Qualcomm modems on all iPhone 6s phones.

For all the latest Technology News, download Indian Express App

1. N
    Nadim
    Jan 14, 2017 at 12:08 pm
    Hi, I enjo your article about iPhone 7. I have liked this product After reading your review reading your review. but I have a question. Apple does what is best for Apple, and to heck with the customers. They paid 800 bucks for the phone, who cares about them, right?
  2. J
    Justin
    Oct 27, 2016 at 4:15 am
    The price should be lesser for intel powered then. my model is A1784 and I bought as USD 1,113.26 or SAR 4,175 (128GB).
  3. L
    Lawrence C
    Oct 25, 2016 at 2:06 pm
    How can I tell which modem chip I have in my iPhone 7?
    Mike
    Nov 9, 2016 at 6:36 pm
    Is this issue also in Canada ? I have the model with the intel chip, I knew from day one my phone was slow with bad connection. Everything online speaks about the American networks however I still have the model with the intel chip. Apple Store genius tells me it's only an issue in the states with their network, however I believe he's wrong as I'm having it here in Canada
    Skully
    Oct 25, 2016 at 8:04 pm
    Skully
    Oct 25, 2016 at 8:03 pm
    Users who want to check whether they have an Apple device with an Intel or Qualcomm chip should visit the company's website, or look at the back of their iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Models A1660 and A1661 should have a Qualcomm SoC, while models A1778 an A1784 carries Intel. Visiting their network providers should also help. In the US, Verizon and Sprint carry Apple handhelds with Qualcomm chips, while ATandT and T-Mobile offer the Intel version.