Tag Heuer CEO Jean-Claude Biver said his company has been building mechanical watches for 155 years but knew little about building an Internet-connected device that younger buyers would want. So it partnered with Intel and Google in what he calls the “marriage of Watch Valley and Silicon Valley.”
Various manufacturers have made watches using Google’s Android Wear system but they typically look more like mini computers on the wrist rather than a traditional watch.
- Lenovo's Motorola is putting Android Wear smartwatches on hold
- Titan Juxt Pro review: There is nothing smart about this watch
- Fossil acquires wearables company Misfit for $260 million
- Smartwatches compared: How Samsung, Motorola and Apple Watch stack up
- LG Watch Urbane Express Review: It is still not time
- Cameron Diaz to be the new face of Tag Heuer
Luxury comes with a price: Tag Heuer Connected starts selling in the US on Monday for $1,500. By contrast, the cheapest Android Wear watch costs $129. Sales in Japan begin next week and in other countries in Europe and Asia by the end of November. Apple Watch has a luxury edition, with a case made of gold, for $10,000 to $17,000. The regular Apple Watch starts at $349.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Tag Heuer Connected adopted the company’s Carrera Calibre mechanical design and uses premium materials, including titanium lugs and a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal screen. Straps come in a choice of seven colours.
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said Tag Heuer showed his engineers the design elements desired and worked with Google to tweak the Android Wear software for it.
“Our teams have brought what they are uniquely good at and have fused together something that is bigger than the sum of its parts,” said David Singleton, a vice president of engineering at Google.