Charging-on-the-go is becoming innovative by the day.While more and more people are carrying power banks to back up their power hungry smartphones and tablets, there are people who are trying to take this solution to new places. The Lumos unPlug Solar Backpack is a step in this direction. Yes, you read it right, it is a solar backpack, a bag which charges devices when exposed to direct sunlight.
First impressions: The bag is black in colour — may be because of the colour’s high reception for sunlight — and heavier than the usual. Plus, it takes a while to figure out where this thing opens from. I observed the design very minutely and when I ventured to open it, the process seemed unending. There was a zip, just like the usual ones, surrounding this backpack. So like a rookie user, I unzipped to gain access towards the business end of the device. To my surprise, the zip was like those fake doors that lead to concrete walls. This zip too did not lead anywhere.
I rotated the bag and turned it upside down to solve the mystery. Just when my patience began to run out, I saw a little opening towards the lower half with two old-school buckle locks. Unbuckle the locks, lifted the lid, and there it was – the small rectangular power bank. A solar power bank.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
What we know?
After the first check, I know this is a bag with more than a couple of storage slits and a rain cover.
What we learnt?
Not all bags open with the zip, even if they have one.
Business end never ends
With a lot of backpacks, by top brands, selling like hot cakes in the market, the only way for this little gadget to gain popularity was by a catchy design and a simpler interface. Both, however, are not be be found in the current design. Inside, there are multiple slots for a 15″ laptop, a tablet, a couple of chargers, and even a handful of books. But, the way they are placed, stacked one over the other, is a bit confusing. It will take at least a couple of weeks to get used to this set up, and smoothly inserting the gadget in their slots.
Now, let us come to the solar charger part of the bag. One USB slot, a small pin — for both in and out — and a dozen jacks, compatible with even out-of-the-market handsets/devices. There is definitely a lack of vision here. Technology, they say, is to make the job simpler. With such a complex interface, it only adds to confusion and consumes a lot of time. For instance, switching to the alternate mode of charging the internal battery using a power point is a pain. The tiny pin, next to the USB slot, doesn’t hold on properly. You move, you unplug.
What we know?
Plenty of space, but with its share of confusion.
What we learnt?
Patience is the key to charge this backpack.
With so much confusion and definitely a problem of plenty, the question is whether one should actually go ahead and spend close to rs 5,000 for a very ordinary backpack with supernatural, but super confusing powers?
It is better advised to buy a decent battery power bank and tag it with your super cool college backpack. It will charge your devices and serve your purpose. Saves you the confusion and a whole lot of money. Buy this is you are a junky for geeky devices which no one else picks up.