Apple has reportedly bid goodbye to its third-gen Apple TV, shifting its focus on the new fourth-gen model, media reported on Thursday.
According to 9to5mac.com, in an email sent out to employees and education partners, Apple said that it is discontinuing the device.
“The third-gen model was introduced in 2012 and was quietly updated a year later. Since then, Apple has shifted its focus to the tvOS-powered fourth-gen Apple TV,” the report said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The company is currently selling refurbished models of third-gen Apple TV for $59. Once the refurbished models disappear, “Apple will seemingly have stopped sales of the third-gen Apple TV all together,” the report added.
Apple, however, said it will fulfill order backlog for the device. “The Cupertino company will continue to fulfill backlog orders for the device, but is now putting its attention behind the newer fourth-generation device,” said a report in MacRumors.
It is also not clear if third-gen Apple TV will receive any additional software updates.
According to Apple website, every Apple TV comes with complimentary telephone technical support within 90 days of its purchase. In addition, Apple TV and all accessories are covered against defects for one year from the original purchase date by a limited hardware warranty.
Apple recently launched its new version of the tvOS system that makes it easier to use the Apple TV set-top box as the new hub of a digital home. The new version allows users to sign in just once to access multiple apps from various TV network providers. Apple is adding services like Dish’s Sling TV and Fox Sports Go as well.
With IANS inputs